• Register
  • Help

Topic: Difference between the black and white grands please

Share/Bookmark

Difference between the black and white grands please

What is the big difference between the 2 i have not been able to find anythign that seperates the 2, can you all tell me what the big difference's are please.
    Thanks in advance all!

Re: Difference between the black and white grands please

I believe the main technical difference is that the White Grand is only sampled on the white notes, then chromatically stretched to cover the black notes, and the black grand is sampled spearately on all 88 notes.

Subjectively, the white grand is said to be very "bright" and the black grand "darker" and more mellow. I've only used the black grand so I can't really compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch that hurts
    ... and the black grand is sampled spearately on all 88 notes.
    Are you sure?

Well, since I made them.....

Both the Black and White Grand are samples white keys "only".'
    The reason for this is that the philosophy behind these pianos are that many true velocity layers contributes more to realism then chromatic sampling.
    White Grand and Black Grand has no less then 16 samples pedal up and 16 pedal down. BG has 16 release samples and WG has 4.
    If we included all notes it would result in a instrument that where to big for 99% of all platforms today.

White Grand is a sampled piano designed to work great in a pop/rock/jazz mix. It's very bright and was recorded with the mics very close to the strings giving it a quite unique carachter among sampled pianos.
    White Grand are today used by many studios and composer and can be heard in soundtracks as "National Treasure".

The Black Grand is more classical oriented. The piano used here was a Steinway D Hamburg and it was recorded in a actual concert hall. Three perspectives are included, close, medium ambient and ambient giving you three different pianos to choose from.

You can download a fully playable 2 octave + all C's demo from www.sampletekk.com where you also can download several mp3 demos and read more aboutr the pianos.
    For the Black Grand, go here and for the White Grand, go here

If you have any more questions, let me know!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Go Back to forum