• Register
  • Help

Topic: Waltzing through Vienna

Share/Bookmark

Waltzing through Vienna

This morning we drove from Brno to Vienna. The trip took about two hours and I enjoyed seeing the Czech and Austrian countryside.

After drivining over the Danube River, we arrived in Vienna. I called Herb from VSL but he was gone for the day (however I will see him in a couple of days in Frankfurt).

Our first stop in Vienna was the Konzerthaus, which is one of the world's finest concert halls and home to the Vienna Philharmonic. We were given a private tour of the Big Hall as well as the smaller Mozart, Schubert and New Halls.

After the inspection and meeting at the Koncerthaus, we went to Stradtpart - a park with memorials to Schubert, Bruckner, Strauss, Stolz and other Austrian composers. My favorite was the gold statute of Johann Strauus playing the golden violin

We then went to the great cathedral in the center of the city. Certainly the largest cathedral I have seen on my trip.

We continued down Karntner Street. I was suprirsed to see stars on the sidewalks like those on Hollywood Blvd in LA. But these stars had the names of the great composers- Mozart, Vivaldi, Shubert, etc. It's great to see the idols who are revered in Vienna. Perhaps someday one of our GPO Artists will be forever etched on Karntner Street.

Vienna is such a great musical city. This part of the world - Prague, Brno and Vienna - paradise for the music buff.

To what did my tiring eyes did appear? A Starbucks Coffee - overlooking the State Opera House! Nine days without Starbucks - I could not resist.

We then went to the Muzikverein, another great concert hall and home to the Vienna Symphony. We inspected the hall and listened to a bassoon player rehearsing in the hall. After the Muzikverein we had lunch and it was off to the airport.

I was sad to say goodbye to Petr and his lovely wife. They have been such great hosts and made my trip a very enjoyable one.

I am at the airport and will be boarding in a few minutes to Frankfurt.

See you later and more soon.

Gary

Re: Waltzing through Vienna

Wow! You sure are on the move. If you need a traveling companion next year you know where I am.

Take care and I hope to hear some news out of Musikmesse.

What! No mention of the famous Von Trap family? I knew the hills weren't so ali ve with the sound of museek!
    Starbucks inteed ... Read the sign closer next time the fine print. "Frankinbucks"

OK, so it wasn't so funny but hey ... I am with J.B. that will make it three!
    Looking forward to reading more of your trip soon sir. Behave!
    Styxx

Ah, that beautiful blue Danube . . . you should've waltzed over it
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I recently heard an interview with an Austrian who is doing a new production of the Sound of Music. He said that the von Traps didn't climb the mountains to go to Switzerland. They took the train.

Somehow, "Board Every Train" doesn't sound as romantic as the original song...

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    This morning we drove from Brno to Vienna. The trip took about two hours and I enjoyed seeing the Czech and Austrian countryside.

After drivining over the Danube River, we arrived in Vienna. I called Herb from VSL but he was gone for the day (however I will see him in a couple of days in Frankfurt).

Our first stop in Vienna was the Konzerthaus, which is one of the world's finest concert halls and home to the Vienna Philharmonic. We were given a private tour of the Big Hall as well as the smaller Mozart, Schubert and New Halls.

After the inspection and meeting at the Koncerthaus, we went to Stradtpart - a park with memorials to Schubert, Bruckner, Strauss, Stolz and other Austrian composers. My favorite was the gold statute of Johann Strauus playing the golden violin

We then went to the great cathedral in the center of the city. Certainly the largest cathedral I have seen on my trip.

We continued down Karntner Street. I was suprirsed to see stars on the sidewalks like those on Hollywood Blvd in LA. But these stars had the names of the great composers- Mozart, Vivaldi, Shubert, etc. It's great to see the idols who are revered in Vienna. Perhaps someday one of our GPO Artists will be forever etched on Karntner Street.

Vienna is such a great musical city. This part of the world - Prague, Brno and Vienna - paradise for the music buff.

To what did my tiring eyes did appear? A Starbucks Coffee - overlooking the State Opera House! Nine days without Starbucks - I could not resist.

We then went to the Muzikverein, another great concert hall and home to the Vienna Symphony. We inspected the hall and listened to a bassoon player rehearsing in the hall. After the Muzikverein we had lunch and it was off to the airport.

I was sad to say goodbye to Petr and his lovely wife. They have been such great hosts and made my trip a very enjoyable one.

I am at the airport and will be boarding in a few minutes to Frankfurt.

See you later and more soon.

Gary
    Well, in Frankfurt, you must do two things! Walk the Eisener Steg, and visit the Altes Cafe Dauth-Schneider in the Saachenhausen district (if it is still there) I spent many pleasant hours there, and had one unusual experience. I was searching for a man I had never met nor seen a photo of, and was told I would find him in a Gasthaus that turned out to be non-existant!. I strolled around Saachsenhausen for a short while, and looked into a few places, and then, at Dauth-Schneider, I made my first approach, and asked "Sind Sie Kurt Kellert?' and he answered "Ja". Mission Impossible, but Mission Accomplished.

If the weather is decent, you might even rent one of the pedal boats and pedal down the Main, but it will take two pairs of legs to get going!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Somehow, "Board Every Train" doesn't sound as romantic as the original song...
    You never know, some strange things have gotten the Academy Award. It could be a winner!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Ah, that beautiful blue Danube . . . you should've waltzed over it
    Well, Herr Strauss was either clever at selecting titles, or color blind. It is quite brown, but somehow, I guess the Muddy Brown Danube would not be as catchy, although Mississippi Mud was a neat song.

Richard

I ate dinner in Frankfurt at the most interesting location a number of years ago. It was in the basement of a bombed out castle. As I recall it was in the middle of the city. The entrance is at street level, and you can go down maybe four flights of stairs. At the bottom there is a well, and on each level down there are tables and chairs for the diners.

We ate at the bottom level, and the surface of all of the stone walls was crystaline with centuries of minerals from the well water. I don't recall the food being all that special, but the location and the time spent with our hosts were fantastic.

-JF

Go Back to forum