• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dual Processors for Gigastudio and Cubase each ?

Share/Bookmark

Dual Processors for Gigastudio and Cubase each ?

Hi !

I know someone else posted this question before but I heard so many misleading answers to that one.

If I want to run Cubase VST and Gigastudio with Windows 2000 on a dual processor machine with two harddisks and 512 MB RAM and 2 mixtreme cards, would Windows 2000 automatically run VST on one processor and Gigastudio on the other processor or would BOTH applications have to be specifically designed for a multiprocessorsystem ?

Maybe someone can really answer this question so I can finally buy the new dualprocessor mainboard. :-)))))

Also ... would this really work fine or are there other bottlenecks to watch out for ?

Thanks to all for this forum !
    Alex

Re: Dual Processors for Gigastudio and Cubase each ?

In a SMP system, CPU resources are not allotted on an application basis, but on a program “Thread” basis. The more multi-threaded an application is, the more it will take advantage of an SMP system.

GStudio supports Win2K, but of course, we don’t know much it will take advantage of SMP. I don’t know it the current version of VST will run on Win2K.

You can always buy a duel processor board with a single CPU installed, and add the second one when it makes a difference.

Thanks Bill, for the quick answer.

Cubase already works fine with Win2000. However it is not designed for SMP. To my common knowledge it would seem reasonable that Windows 2000 will allocate one processor to each application ( or thread ) if both apps are running at the same time.

All I want to avoid is having two processors and using only one if bothe apps are running. Could that happen if both apps are simply designed for 1 processor like Cubase VST ?

Thanks for your help,
    Alex

> All I want to avoid is having two processors and
    > using only one if both apps are running. Could
    > that happen if both apps are simply designed for
    > 1 processor like Cubase VST ?

That’s why I suggested starting with one CPU. It’s not that running apps that aren’t optimized for multi-threading won’t use both processors. It’s that there’s some overhead involved for Windows to manage the CPU resources, and overall performance might be less.

SMP is only more likely to become main stream. As this happens, it’s likely that software developers will begin to optimize their products to take advantage of it. That’s when you drop in the second CPU.

You are probably right, Bill ! Its just that I already own a very good mainboard and would have to go for a more expensive but older and \"not quite so good one\". ( I don´t know any Dual board thats available in Europe and can beat an Asus P3BF )

So I would only do this if I knew that running both apps on 1 PC would really work out well. On one PC it does not :-)))

Oh well :-)
    Thanks anyway
    Alex

Here are my results so far researching for Gigastudio DAW hardware.

Just went for a Asus P2B-DS (dual SMP mobo).
    (the latest version Rev 1.06/bios 1.012 supports (not documented) Coppermine PIII (600-...Mhz). It has Ultra-2 SCSI on board (80Mb/s).

Also wait for W2K (next week) and for the new killer Atlas 10k II scsi HDs and Gigastudio itself (both announced for April)

Go for minimal 2X128 PC100 Ram.

Alternative suggestions are welcome.

I have that exact motherboard. I use it with a full gig of memory and three Maxtor 27 gig hard drives. Until I updated to the version 1.012 bios, it didn\'t consistantly recognize the full gig of memory. With this motherboard it is also important to realize that the PCI slot next to the AGP slot shares an IRQ with the video card. I have an old ATI 8 meg card that I\'m pretty much stuck with until I find a newer card that doesn\'t need an IRQ. Also the fourth PCI slot which is next to the ISA slots shares an IRQ with the SCSI and USB interfaces. I have a Yamaha DSP Factory in this slot because it shares IRQ\'s well. Aside from these considerations it works well.

I didn\'t realize that it would support the Coppermine PIII\'s at all. Is the 600 megahertz version the fastest it will support? Might this situation be improved with a later bios update? Is it possible for the IDE interfaces to be updated to Ultra DMA 66 through a bios update?

Go Back to forum