• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Timpani Rolls

Share/Bookmark

Timpani Rolls

I am not using the "upgraded" version of GPO for creating a Timpani Roll.

Getting the "machine-gun" sound when I create a Timpani Roll. I used the following procedures for anticipated success:

1. Used D1 and D3 (hands apart) for MIDI entry.
    2. Varied the velocity of the upper and lower parts. R.H. softer ramp.
    3. Increased the velocity of both hands as the roll unfolded.
    4. Used unquantized notes in trials.
    5. Used different note durations in trials.
    6. Analyzed the tempo vs. how many notes needed in roll to prevent crowding of notes and sound.

Still no success.

Are there any tutorials on creating Timpani Rolls?

I understand in the upgraded version that the X-Custom method of creating Timpani rolls works the best, but I do not have this upgrade installed yet.

Any help with what I have (GPO original) will be appreciated.

John
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Re: Timpani Rolls

I've tried several methods myself using the keyboard only to end up with a disgustingly poor excuse for a timpani roll.
    As a percussionist, I have to play them in using a Roland SPD20. It's not perfect but it has yielded the best results for me with minimal editing. The nicest aspect of the percussion pad is you can vary the velocity sensitivity and other midi playing parameters to suit your needs. What I will do is assign right hand timp to one pad and left hand timp to another. In this way I get as close to the real technique as possible. I cannot stand using my fingers to play any type of roll for percussion on any keyboard!
    Realizing most people do not own a Roland SPD 20 percussion pad this is not always practical. However, you should download the updates to GPO. There is a Timpani KS (Key Switch) that renders notes in the upper right-hand to play rolls. Somewhat effective.
    By the way, one can pick up a Roland SPD 8 (used) dirt cheep and it works just as well as the SPD 20.
    Styxx

On the Kontakt Player turn up Var 2 quite a bit and Var 1 a little bit, this should help alleviate the machine gun effect.

Were those controls available in the original GPO programming? I can't remember now. My advice to you, update.

For whomever has a host/sequencer that can handle MFX plugins (Cakewalk offerings and recent Cubase versions), I have two free plugs that can help:

* TenCrazy.com MFX AutoThrob will break a long sustained note into a series of individual hits of an arbitrary fractional note duration.

* TenCrazy.com MFX AutoAlternator will automatically alternate hits between two sets of samples, so that right-left handedness is retained.

Of course velocity randomness (as you indicate) and GPO player VAR controls will help.

And the player update is free! Get it!

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Thumbs up Re: Timpani Rolls

In fact it's good to have a good long timpani roll sample (existing in some library). But the speed can not be varied, then the first time it works very well, the second time it sounds a repetition...

A detailed editing is always the better solution (yes boring i know), including velocity, duration, time and timbre/pich random variation if available, I agree.

The percussionist in this case is the reference, thanks Styxx.

I will ask you for some midi file of good rolls, to transpose and manipulate, but starting from the good input you are able to do: it should be an intersting users grove. What do you think?

To those who have responded thus far:

Thank you, I think it is time to upgrade as Styxx and Joseph stated. I am using DP 4.12 so I can't use a Cakewalk plug-in to my knowledge.

I even tried keeping the velocity at the same level and ramping the volume via the Automation feature in DP. Not bad, but you gotta catch it just right or there is some editing to do (a lot of editing to do).

Fabio: I think Styxx can get you some great Timpani Roll files. Let us know how they work out. It's good to have a real percussionist on this list.

John
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

John,
    Something along these lines...
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billp
    John,
    Something along these lines...
    As I thought I replied before, but apparently the "reply" didn't go through, what did you do to the "Before" roll that made it sound so great in the "After" roll?

John

John,
    I left a post in the other thread that explains what I did and also contains links to a SONAR project file and a midi file in case you don't have SONAR.

Go HERE
    Bill

Go Back to forum