• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: what do you for upgrading your computer?

Share/Bookmark

what do you for upgrading your computer?

I am need to buy the fastest Athlon that is on the market and the motherboard and ram that supports it, 400 mhz buss, with Athlon 3700 on a Abit 7 motherboard with 2 or 1 gig of Kingston 400 mhz buss DDR.? Fastest?

Looks like I have to reload everything from scratch again....arrrgg....I am wondering what do other people do for upgrading. I can't even began to describe the nightmare of having to re-install all the music software and go through all the registers again, not to mention all the vsts, all the dang upgrades for everything too, all the passwords for all the registers for the vst's....yea scary! Ahh not to mention resetting up DSL again.
    Is there some easy'er way? What do you do when you have to upgrade?

I guess I'll have to buy a 150 gig hd and use that for a new install then take my old boot drive and make it slave drive copy over files from programs I need and want on my computer, then hook my other slave drive up and yea.
    not looking forward to this at all.

Re: what do you for upgrading your computer?

I still have an old Athlon (1400) here as a second computer from which I'll remove the memory, mainboard and processor and turn it into an Intel P4 system. I'm aiming at a P4 3.0 Ghz processor, an Asus P4P800-E deluxe and 2 Gb of DDR-RAM (probably Transcend). I'll add a few S-ATA Maxtor drives as well. My main reason for switching to Intel is that I like the reliability of my Intel pc, and hate the unreliability of the Athlon. I've had all kinds of problems with it, ranging from too much cooler/fan noise to dropouts and lots of BSOD's.

my current computer is just an Athlon 1.4(pathetic) so that's 266 mhz buss LOL! 1 gig of ram 266 mhz. I think Intel and Athlon are about the same speed but I am sure people argue about that and it's just subjective.
    you'll have to Reload to Herman

I have SigmaDelta Audio Labs build me one... rock solid systems at an incredible price from a guy who actually listens about what you want to do with your new system and then knows his ~~~~ about putting it together.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Quote Originally Posted by StrangeCat
    my current computer is just an Athlon 1.4(pathetic) so that's 266 mhz buss LOL! 1 gig of ram 266 mhz.
    I have that 1.4 Ghz Athlon with 768 Mb SD-RAM, from when I first started to use Giga a few years ago.

Alan - Until now I've always built the pc's myself. I gathered the knowledge about that by trial and error

I am the same way about building pc's myself but, I am interested in a place that builds pc's and is a mastering studio. it will cost me 500 us dollars for Mother board , cpu, ram and hd. It's nice to have professionals esemble your pc or atleast the whole cpu, motherboard thing and case, maybe I am not that great at building pc LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Witkam
    I still have an old Athlon (1400) here as a second computer from which I'll remove the memory, mainboard and processor and turn it into an Intel P4 system. I'm aiming at a P4 3.0 Ghz processor, an Asus P4P800-E deluxe and 2 Gb of DDR-RAM (probably Transcend). I'll add a few S-ATA Maxtor drives as well. My main reason for switching to Intel is that I like the reliability of my Intel pc, and hate the unreliability of the Athlon. I've had all kinds of problems with it, ranging from too much cooler/fan noise to dropouts and lots of BSOD's.
    Sorry but thats nonsense. An AMD is no less reliable than a P4 if not even better as it runs much cooler usually. Ive been an AMD user since I changed from my PII and never looked back (after seeing my bros' P3 and P4 I saw no reason). Even my nicely OCed A64 3400 (stock 2.4) running at 2744Mhz is perfectly reliable and with the stock HS. Dont judge AMD based on one bad experience thats not fair....
    Regards

hey it's like I said it's subjective

Sometimes the chipset can be a major factor. If you have an older peice of hardware that you still want to use, an Intel chipset is usually reliable.

AMD offers more bang for the buck.

In some cases people upgrade their system prematurely. Technology sometimes changes too fast. I'm going to stick with my XP Bartons for a while. There's not a lot out there to take advantage of the 64 bit systems.

Herman, I love ya man for all those samples but I have to disagree with you. I build systems for a living and without a doubt I prefer AMD to Intel. As far as your loud fan noise, that's the fan's fault not the CPU. Athlons are ultra-reliable and are an excellent choice for audio programs (and overclocking).
    I think a favorite gag in medival times was to sneak up behind a Knight and stick a "kick me" sign on his armor with a magnet.

Go Back to forum