• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cubase and Giga on notebook?

Share/Bookmark

Cubase and Giga on notebook?

I am considering the idea of running Gigasampler and Cubase VST on a notebook. Has anyone tried this and do you have any suggestions as to processor and audio/midi interfaces?

Re: Cubase and Giga on notebook?

The problem with a laptop is the lack of GS compatible audio interface. You might want to check out the articles in the Feb issue of “Computer Music”.

I you don’t already have a laptop, check this out:
    http://www.gigtek.com/

Looks like it would be just the thing.

Egosys (for their Wamibox) is reported to be \'thinking about a GSIF interface\'.

You might poke them a bit :-)

I sent an e-mail to Egosys and they say they will have a GS-compatible driver out by the end of March 2000.

I also have a question.

On Nemesys\' web site, they say that laptops aren\'t as powerful because of processor speed, power management, etc. Has this changed? Are there any laptops out there that would be just as powerful as desktops are? Can they andle more than one hard drive?

I would tend to think that a laptop with an external SCSI would be fine with GS,..maybe not full polyphony..but I wouldn\'t doubt that it would work to some point. Maybe Cubase isn\'t a good idea,..since its pretty resourse intensive. It might be fine alone,..but maybe not with Giga running along side, a cheaper sequencer soft might be better.

The problem with laptops is that they use slow 5400 rpm HDs in order to save battery power. However, the latest ones (like Dell Inspirons) run Mobile PIII 600s and have ATA33 interfaces. Used with a external fast EIDE HD like Quantums Diamond MaxPlus (up to 72 gigs) and the Wamibox GSIF should do the trick.

Again, check out the Gigtek site (posted above). Their systems use standard motherboards/chipsets, HDs and take real PCI cards.

BTW Bespoke, that FAQ section on the NemeSys site is somewhat out of date. The “Dream machine: is “Windows95, Pentium II 300 “!

Thanks for your answers. Does anyone know of Gigtek-type products that are available in Australia?

Go Back to forum