• Register
  • Help

Topic: Really heavy problem with new machine !!!

Share/Bookmark

Really heavy problem with new machine !!!

Hello together,

i just have a really damn weird problem with my new audio daw.

i upgraded to 3,8 ghz athlon64 with 2GB ram.

i have three harddrives in there.

one 80gb as IDE master for system which has 2 partitions (10 gb for system and 70 gb for programs)

the second is 120 gb for audio projects, which is on SATA port 1

the third is for samples which is on SATA port 2

as soon as i start to install windows and fill up the sample disc with samples and start installing programs on C everything is fine but on a certain point when i do a restart the whole machine just ~~~~s up completely ... givin me a lot of checkdisk entries (wrong clusters, wrong whatever) and BSOD's

does anyone have a clue what this could be ?? i really set up everything okay and it is not my first pc. did i do something wrong with the sata connection, because this is the first time doing that.

thanks in advance
    @lex

Re: Really heavy problem with new machine !!!

here is a little update:

it also tells me about that the system is not able to find sys.dll or i had a bsod with "can not find basedrv" or something ...

anyone ?

No real clue, but you really don’t want to be partitioning your master disk. The OS and applications all go together. Large parts of applications go in the /windows/system32 folder.

hmm, on my previous daw i installed also the system on c: and the programs on d: and everything was perfect for about 2-3 years.

no i don't think that this is the issue which causes these problems. i really don't know but it seems like the harddisc is damaged.

Hi Alex, might it be a faulty drive perhaps? Maybe, install the system drive first, then add drives one at a time to try and isolate the problem.

Also, if your sample drives are huge, i.e. bigger than 120gig, you'll need to install SP1.

Cheers mein freund

Scott.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

hey scott and thanks,

i think more and more that the bootdrive is faulty, because when i have windows completely fresh installed everything is fine but as soon as i go on and install other software, ... after a reboot the pc won't boot anymore or it is damn slow or i got bsod telling about some basedrv or pci.sys files or just doing chkdsk like hell and finidng thousands of problems.

hopefully when i return the drive everything is fine and i can go on and setup my new main daw. damn always mistaked....i am really sick of that shiz ...

When I've had faulty installations, I've often remedied it with different RAM or less aggressive settings in the BIOS. And then a fresh install of Windows, of course.

-JF

okay, i think i have the problem. went to the shop and exchanged the system HD and he said that there is a bad surface thingy going on, so i got a new one and hopefully now everything is fine.

just one other thing:

i maybe asked that a couple of times but always interesting. does it make sense to do 2 partitions. on ONLY for the system, ONLY XP and the other one only for programs..

i am not talking of projects, files etc, but only programs and system.

Quote Originally Posted by Waywyn
    i maybe asked that a couple of times but always interesting. does it make sense to do 2 partitions. on ONLY for the system, ONLY XP and the other one only for programs..

i am not talking of projects, files etc, but only programs and system.
    I certainly agree with Bill that this is not a good idea. When you install a program, all the files concerned don't just sit neatly in the program folder. Many files are added to and/or changed in the Windows installation itself. Thus if you try and separate the program installation from Windows - ie, put it in a separate partition, ghost it separately, then maybe restore it one day without restoring Windows itself, you can get all sorts of wierd business where a program looks for something in Windows and can't find it, or vice versa.

I know you say you did this for 2-3 years without problem, and maybe it's OK, or maybe you were just lucky, I dunno.

But what I do is install Windows, then take an image. Then install all the hardware drivers and basic utilities, then take another image. Then install my applications, then take another image. I hardly ever have to go back to the first two images, but I know they're there if necessary.

Go Back to forum