• Register
  • Help

Topic: Filenames and other minor things

Share/Bookmark

Filenames and other minor things

Okay, I'm somewhat new to GPO. I'm a Sibelius (3.1.3) user, and a longtime user of Cakewalk Sonar (Pro, ver 4.xx). I'm midi-literate, etc. I've upgraded to the latest versions/drivers of all my software/hardware. Running a PC with 3.6gig, 2gig of ram, 2 large hard disks, WinXP Pro, etc.

Got some questions that I haven't been able to find answers for here:

When I launch GP Studio, then go to open a file, why does it prompt me to save <Unnamed>? No big deal, but definately irritating. And how, exactly, does one know WHICH file is currently opened in GP Studio? If there's a title bar somewhere, I've missed it completely and I apologize.

With normal (hardware) midi synths, sending out a message (note, volume, etc) on say, channel 2, would be interpreted by ALL synths set up to respond to midi channel 2. This doesn't seem to work the same way with the VST synths in GPO. Is that correct? In other words, I seem to be able to send notes to a violin patch on Player number 1, midi channel 1, and if I send other notes to Player number 2, midi channel 1, the two won't see both sets. Is this correct?

I'm sure hoping Siblelius starts to treat VST/DxI plugins more like a sequencing program, a la Sonar. As it is, it seems like I've got a lot of money tied up in Sibelius and GPO, and the two don't exactly work seamlessly the way GPO and Sonar do (or GPO and any of my other sequencers, for that matter).

Re: Filenames and other minor things

Quote Originally Posted by jegenes
    Okay, I'm somewhat new to GPO. I'm a Sibelius (3.1.3) user, and a longtime user of Cakewalk Sonar (Pro, ver 4.xx). I'm midi-literate, etc. I've upgraded to the latest versions/drivers of all my software/hardware. Running a PC with 3.6gig, 2gig of ram, 2 large hard disks, WinXP Pro, etc.

Got some questions that I haven't been able to find answers for here:

When I launch GP Studio, then go to open a file, why does it prompt me to save <Unnamed>? No big deal, but definately irritating. And how, exactly, does one know WHICH file is currently opened in GP Studio? If there's a title bar somewhere, I've missed it completely and I apologize.

With normal (hardware) midi synths, sending out a message (note, volume, etc) on say, channel 2, would be interpreted by ALL synths set up to respond to midi channel 2. This doesn't seem to work the same way with the VST synths in GPO. Is that correct? In other words, I seem to be able to send notes to a violin patch on Player number 1, midi channel 1, and if I send other notes to Player number 2, midi channel 1, the two won't see both sets. Is this correct?

I'm sure hoping Siblelius starts to treat VST/DxI plugins more like a sequencing program, a la Sonar. As it is, it seems like I've got a lot of money tied up in Sibelius and GPO, and the two don't exactly work seamlessly the way GPO and Sonar do (or GPO and any of my other sequencers, for that matter).

The file saving thing refers to any instruments you may have loaded into GPO Studio, or any changes you may have made to any of them.

You are correct about the channel thing. The channel number refers (in this case) to the slot of the player you have selected. So you could easily have 8 entries for channel 2, not affecting each other, as long as each of them was referencing a different player number.

I use both Sonar and Sibelius, but don't often attempt any sequencing with Sibelius because Sonar is so much better. Sibelius is great for notation, but not anything else, in my experience. Sonar is great for sequencing, creating and mucking around with audio files, and once I have created my piece with Sonar, I save a version of it as a midi type I, and import to Sibelius for creating a good quality score. But before attempting to open your file in Sibelius, take great care to quantize. Then the import will be much smoother. Also, during the import procedure, be sure to review and select all pertinent parameters, including the menu item NOTATION.

Richard

Re: Filenames and other minor things

Thanks for the tips, Richard. Like you, I use Sonar for playing and sequencing (and for hard disk audio recording). Sibelius just doesn't cut it for live playing. In fact, it's even a pain just to audition presets in it by playing the keyboard. You can't just select a track (stave) and play that patch. Oh, I know you can, but most of the time I'm looking at my keyboard, noodling around, only to look back up on the screen and find out I've entered 300-odd notes onto the score. It's maddening, sometimes. I wish there were an "audition" mode, or "sequencing mode" where you couldn't enter notes from the keyboard. But I do love Sibelius and think it's a fine program, especially after fighting Finale for a couple of years. I know what you mean about quantizing the notes before exporting as a midi file. I do this a lot, and even then, I often have to do quite a bit of tweaking in Sibelius in order to get it straight.

But still, it seems a little wierd to me that you open a file in GPO and there's no place that actually tells you which file you have open at any given time. In fact, try this: open a file you've saved. Once it's open, go ahead and click File/Save As/ and see what kind of prompt it gives you. The default "save as" name is "Unnamed.GPO" So, now I've got to think, "gee, do I have "SibeliusStrings.gpo" open, or is it "SibeliusStringQuartet.gpo"? Do I want to save it as "SibeliusStrings2.gpo" or..... (you get the idea).

Also, I think the name of the file should come up on the title of every single one of the keyboards (for each player), along with that player's number.

I wish Sibelius was set up to use GPO as a VST plugin, the way Sonar does. I just open my file in Sonar and the GPO patches are automatically loaded in. In Sibelius I have to first open GPO, then remember which file I had saved for the piece I'm working on and load it into GPO, then open Sibelius and hope for the best. A bit inelegant, and hopefully these issues will be resolved at some point.

Thanks again.

Best,

John

Go Back to forum