• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: DP4and GPo, need help...

Share/Bookmark

DP4and GPo, need help...

Hi folks,

I'm working on a new piece since 3 ours, and all my music is lost!!
    I've loaded DP4 and GPO and chose a new file for this new piece. While working, I have saved my work regulary.
    I tried to save multitracks on an other new track (piano) but the traks I've copied became empty. So I tried to make "undo" but it didn't work.
    I decided to chose the "revert" option because I just had saved my work before but then I only get empty tracks!
    I tried to close DP and load the file from it's place in my HD, but the file was empty (for exemple; "my new file" "audio files" and nothing inside)
    Does anyone have an idea about this problem?

thanks a lot for any help.

Regards
    L
    On mac G 5 2x2,5 Ghz, 2,5 Go RAM

Re: DP4and GPo, need help...

Did you originally name the new file when you opened it? If so, what was the name?

dpDan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Did you originally name the new file when you opened it? If so, what was the name?

dpDan
    The name was "lamer score"

why?
    L

bmtl,
    I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't saved as "digital peformer project"

Are you able to see that folder (project) and then it has nothing in it?
    dpDan

What version of DP are you using?

There were some issues with the Undo History in DP3, I lost work a few times...I'm not sure when MOTU fixed this, but I think it was still a problem with DP4.0/4.1.

I hope you find your file or recover your work somehow, but here is a suggestion to avoid losing data in the future: depending on the project, I sometimes do incremental backups along the way, with "Save a Copy", by just adding a number to the end of the name. Make sure you don't have the checkbox for "duplicate audio files" enabled. This way if you have a major problem, the files gets corrupt or you make a big mistake, you have recent copy to revert to.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bmonroney
    Make sure you don't have the checkbox for "duplicate audio files" enabled. This way if you have a major problem, the files gets corrupt or you make a big mistake, you have recent copy to revert to.

Brian
    Brian, I too use the "Save As" and add .01 to the end of the name, the next time..... .02 etc. My logic tells me that when you use the "Save As",,, dp actually makes a copy of that file. This would indeed be useable in the event that a current file would become corrupted. Right?

I'm a little confused,,, so if I start a new project, and title it,,, Did You Know, then 10 - 20 minutes later "save" then another 20 minutes "save" again and again, then at about the two hour mark, I use "Save As" and title it Did You Know.01 without the "duplicate audio files" checked.

Now, let's say it's the next day, I open Did You Know.02 and for some reason it becomes unuseable, thank the Lord, that has not happened to me yet, Are you saying the files before this one would open and work even though Did You Know.02 is corrupt? Do I have this correct?

I check the "duplicare audio files" box a couple times in the progression of a project, just to have more than one copy of the audio files just in case. I realize this takes alot of space, but once the project is complete, I go back and delete those older projects, then I copy the last "final" project to a DVD.
    Correct?

Sorry to kinda drift away from the topic at hand
    dpDan

What version of DP are you using?

There were some issues with the Undo History in DP3, I lost work a few times...I'm not sure when MOTU fixed this, but I think it was still a problem with DP4.0/4.1.
    Brian
    Thank for your answers,
    My version is DP 4.12 fr. I sometimes have crashes with DP but it's the first time I lose an entire file. Despite the fact I made backups regulary, I seems that nothing has been saved.
    So strange!
    L

Quote Originally Posted by bmtl
    seems that nothing has been saved.
    So strange!
    L
    very weird

I do the "Save a Copy As...", into the same project folder as the main session file; this is why:

Let's say I have a project called "DP Epic", and I perform a "Save As", adding .1 to the name. Now I am working on "DP Epic.1", and the original file is not updated further.

If instead, I perform "Save a Copy As...", I add .1 to the name, then I continue working on the original file, and .1 is my most recent backup session file. Thus "DP Epic" is always the current version. I don't check "Duplicate Audio" at this point, because that would waste disk space and potentially create problems with duplicate files...

At the end of a day, or when switching to another project, I do "Save a Copy As..." onto a different hard drive, this time checking "Duplicate Audio", so I have a complete current backup on a separate volume including all files. I can also then clear out the ".x" versions, and start my incremental backups fresh the next time I work on the project. It's also good to occasionally do 'select unused soundbites' and delete them....DP can get flaky and slow with too many soundbites in the session.

I do the "Save a Copy As...", into the same project folder as the main session file; this is why:
    Hi bmonroney,
    I just wish I could only "save" my work!
    But your advices are helpfull for me , and I'll do this for the next projects.
    regards
    L

Go Back to forum