• Register
  • Help

Topic: Abandoning the mixer

Share/Bookmark

Abandoning the mixer

Hi,

I'm considering abandoning my Mackie D8b, and using something like the Presonus Central Station which is a single rack unit featuring a few ins, a few sets of outs for powered speakers and a talkback section. Since I use Logic and mix with the Mackie Universal Control (automated faders) I am just using my D8b as a BIG thing for stereo monitoring only. I like the Waves plugins better than anything I could load into a Mackie D8b card, and the Logic environment is much more convenient.

I wanted to bring this up in case others have made this commitment, and in case there is something I'm missing. Even when recording live I use a mic to a preamp, then into a computer interface.

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Jeff

Re: Abandoning the mixer

I think you're doing the right thing. I've also abandoned a mixer and am using the Mackie Big Knob (similar to the Central Statsion). It works great - I send two stereo pairs to the big knob - one of my main mix, one to send to headphones. You can even have multiple speakers at the touch of a button. I haven't encountered anything that I need a mixer for, from tracking to monitoring. Before I had the Big Knob, the only problem was some type of master volume knob - I'm using an Apogee Rosetta 800 for my DA and AD so there was no way to control the volume outside of Logic - if it crashed sometimes you'd have to run for your power amp, but that's all solved now.

Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by JeffMarshMusic
    Hi,

I'm considering abandoning my Mackie D8b, and using something like the Presonus Central Station which is a single rack unit featuring a few ins, a few sets of outs for powered speakers and a talkback section. Since I use Logic and mix with the Mackie Universal Control (automated faders) I am just using my D8b as a BIG thing for stereo monitoring only. I like the Waves plugins better than anything I could load into a Mackie D8b card, and the Logic environment is much more convenient.

I wanted to bring this up in case others have made this commitment, and in case there is something I'm missing. Even when recording live I use a mic to a preamp, then into a computer interface.

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Jeff
    Hey Jeff,

Remeber me. Funny. I was just thinking of calling you today. And, look here you are.

Well in case you don't remember I'm the guy that met your dad and he gave me your number about a year or 2 ago.

For me I think the mixer thing is optional. I just finished a score using gold and I just patched it straight through from audio card to audio card and mixed in my DP setup. It's so much faster and sounds so much better than going through a mixer. Though I must admit putting it through an outboard reverb machine opened up the stereo field quite a bit. But I'm sure there's a way to do that in waves too.

Let's talk. I'd still like to grab some coffee with you. What's your schedule look like.

Cheers,

Jose

Yup, I did the same thing almost a year ago. I now use three MOTU boxes on a PCI-424 card as my mixer, plus I have a Pro Tools MIX system on the same Mac.

For monitor control I'm using the Blue Sky BMC, which is a digitally-controlled analog volume control. I reviewed the Presonus Central Station for Mix magazine and am thinking of buying just the box - since I have the BMC on my desk - to use for all its conveniences (monitor mixes, mono button, etc.), but I may not since I don't really need it. The Presonus is really nice, though.

My digital mixer was just sitting there off to the side handling monitoring and routing. I was afraid I'd miss having faders to grab in a hurry, but outputs from sound cards on slave PCs are pretty much set-and-forget. Like Jeff, I do everything inside the box and use outboard channel strips.

With the mixer out of here I was able to rearrange my room in a way that makes it feel about twice as large.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf

With the mixer out of here I was able to rearrange my room in a way that makes it feel about twice as large.
    Yep.... this is exactly what my wife wants to see happen.

Thanks everyone, for confirming my suspicions.

Jeff

Same,

Mic - Pre - DAW

I mix the majority of stuff i produce myself, and do it in ProTools & Cubase -all with Waves & digidesign plugins.
    evaclear
    Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm...

My Stuff

Go Back to forum