• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stand alone mode vs Rewire

Share/Bookmark

Stand alone mode vs Rewire

Just wondering about this and the midi latencies here.

If using the gsif drivers, to achieve maxium latecy efficency and performance that has give GS it's widely acclaimed approval in stand-alone mode only, are we being misled by using rewire?

I cannot see how the gsif drivers are being utilized, if when using a sequencer via rewire, GS is fed midi data from the sequencer (subject to sequencer and plugin's latency), in turn fed from your midi controller. To me this just adds up to alot of latency, whereas when using stand-alone mode only, midi is piped directly from your midi controller into the gsif drivers system.

Would there be a benefit from not using rewire say during recording, and maybe only use it for mixing? Or is the gsif utilized even when rewire, and or a sequencer is being used.

One more, what about when using a sequencer and not using rewire, only using a sequencer for midi sequencing?

Can anyone add some more light here? I am not sure how to test for exact midi timing's myself.

thx.

N

Re: Stand alone mode vs Rewire

There are situations where rewire may have less latency than other configurations and also situations where it would be the other way around.

You need to trace the path from your sound source plus music information source toward the recording destination through the audio mixer. Based on where these components reside you would figure out if rewire would be better or not.

Sound source would be either your external keyboard, or soft synth or GS3 which could be in the same computer as MIDI sequencer or in a separate computer, etc.

Music information source could be a musician playing live instrument or MIDI sequencer triggering your sound source(s).

Recording destination could be your PC or another PC or external hard disk recorder.

Somewhere between the sound source and recording destination you would have your mixer. Audio Mixer could be in the same PC as the sequencer or in another PC or external mixer.

There are many combinations/possibilities. For some of the combinations you would simply have to use rewire since otherwise things would be hardly working any good. In other situations you would not be able to use rewire since components may not be within the same PC. Finally, there are situations where you could go with or without rewire and there would be many different configurations that could work better or worse with the rewire.

So, I don't think you would find a single answer to your question. It all depends on your studio configuration...

Regards,
    Bogdan

That is a straight answer...........................?

Use sequencer with VSTi support, add FX-MAX VST Giga adapter and you're there. Latency will depend on buffer size. When I record I use 32 k buffer (lower quality, but very low latency), when mix I increase to 2048 that enables full Giga quality and latency is not problem in such case.
    So far this is the best integration I know. It works it is stable and quality is TOP.

yang

Quote Originally Posted by GYang
    Use sequencer with VSTi support, add FX-MAX VST Giga adapter and you're there. Latency will depend on buffer size. When I record I use 32 k buffer (lower quality, but very low latency), when mix I increase to 2048 that enables full Giga quality and latency is not problem in such case.
    So far this is the best integration I know. It works it is stable and quality is TOP.

yang

Lower latency in the case of FXmax means extra latency on top of the audio output latency! So FXmax is not a very responsive solution. Midioverlan with a dedicated audiocard is the fastest solution. Otherwise you can use Rewire which is also very low latency (the same latency as your sequencer)

Don't know if this helps, and I certainly am not very proficient in the routing of midi and associated latencies, etc., but I am running GS3 as a slave to Cubase VST5, and the 'stated' latency I am getting is 6ms (which might as well be zero, as far as performance/recording/playback into Cubase. For midi input, I use a Delta Audiophile 2496.

Richie

Quote Originally Posted by djgrimey
    I cannot see how the gsif drivers are being utilized, if when using a sequencer via rewire, GS is fed midi data from the sequencer (subject to sequencer and plugin's latency), in turn fed from your midi controller.
    GSIF is not utilised in Rewire mode - latency will be the same as any other VSTi/plugin you insert, your host will have a method of reporting/adjusting that figure.
    One more, what about when using a sequencer and not using rewire, only using a sequencer for midi sequencing?
    Opening the Sequencer the' old-style' way from within Giga, or having Giga on a separate machine, will use GSIF (assuming of course, you have GSIF hardware) and bring it's attendant latency benefits.

HTH.

(Edit : Removed part that was blatantly wrong, bah, need more coffee ;-))

Thanks for all the great replies guys.

Now I'm certain that I won't be recording using rewire mode.

Cya

N

Go Back to forum