• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: anyone using 64 bit processor ?

Share/Bookmark

Question anyone using 64 bit processor ?

does a 64 bit processor matter? is it the way of the future, does it help for audio production? I mean do the programs take advantage of this and is it a lot faster for audio? I am trying to upgrade here and can't make up my mind
    should I go with 64bit Amd instead of the XP version....
    anyone?
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Re: anyone using 64 bit processor ?

I would because 64 bit is coming everywhere. Why buy a processor thats already obsolete? Win64XP ships this month. Also be sure to get a motherboard that supports at least 8 gigs (16 is better) of memory otherwise theres no point in getting a 64 bit processor. That is the main reason in getting 64 bits for the extra memory you will be able to address. I'm sure speed optimizations will come over time.

Cheers,
    JS

holly*****! 8gigs of memory LOL!!! most mother boards only have 2 dim slots...I am looking at the Abit NF7 and the Abit KV8 Pro motherboards...'er yea i like Abit .
    ok so anyone else using 64bit or thinking of upgrading to it?

-david abraham
    Facebook

I believe Stienberg are working to have all there products to be 64-bit compatible too this year..

looks like I better go 64 bit then. Can still use 32 bit apps but take advantage of the 64 bit apps. Ok 64 is the way!

Quote Originally Posted by StrangeCat
    looks like I better go 64 bit then. Can still use 32 bit apps but take advantage of the 64 bit apps. Ok 64 is the way!
    Honestly dude.. I would wait till the summer and 64-bit Dual core boards..It will love you long time... Rich

ahh no man!! LOL!!!
    I can't even use Kontakt 2 or do full orchestration on my computer now. 64bit Amd 3200 with Gig of Ram and the Abit KV8 Pro mother board is fine for me There is always more there is always something new, but sometimes you just have to do it not look back or forward and work with what ya got.

64bit is the way ahead of course but that is just quoting a trueism.

Going 64bit right now is not of much value because there is limited availability of true 64bit DAW hosts, plugins, drivers etc..

I think there is a 64bit Sonar alpha or even pre-alpha but AFAIK, that is all. Soundcard drivers? MIDI drivers? Plugins being recoded to 64bit standards?

You can run SX or Nuendo in 64bit but you won't get all the benefits because they aren't true 64bit apps - they certainly wont be able to use all that RAM address space.

If you upgrade your DAW on a regular basis, there is no need to make sure it is 64bit compatible right now but if you upgrade once every three years or so, it makes sense but there is no telling how volatile things will be.

Mark

64bit processor is way faster then regular AMD Athlon XP processor(64 vs 32) , the mother Board is way faster too and even handles the Ram faster. The Abit KV8 Pro right now is the newest and fastest mother board for the Athlon 64bit chip by Abit(*Abits fast mother board that is). Plus the Motherboard can handle up to AMD 4000 I think(didn't they just release the 4000) , so I am alright if I need to upgrade again. Man I just want to be able to do full orchestration no hang-ups or slow-ups, be able to rewire with no cpu probs, be able to have 20 damn tracks of electronic mayhem I look forward to be able to run GPO Studio with Sibelius and see how well that can sound, Sibelius does perform the music quite well.....soooo....Upgrade!
    anywayz I already paid my purchase and am no organizing crap to reload...(pain in the ####) everything needs register password bla bla bla, computer ID bla bla bla....oh yea I can't wait to use Kontakt 2 with my new upgrade I purchased.
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...5_9487,00.html

Go Back to forum