• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Ambient/Pop Orchestral: Things Never Said

Share/Bookmark

Ambient/Pop Orchestral: Things Never Said

Hi folks,

I know the pop orchestra stuff isn't everyone's cuppa tea, so I don't really expect a lot of listens, but I'm sharing anyway :-)

Link: John Hawksley - Things Never Said.mp3 (5.5Mb)

The piece is sort of ambient/melancholy/light pop with the usual band arrangement plus it integrates GPO (which as usual performs admirably in such a setting).

The orchestration is mostly woodwind and strings + band until the final passage when the brass enter.

The band arrangement is many guitars/hammond B3/drums+perc/bass+fretless. Too many libraries to mention! :-)

Hope you all like it; I've been completely out of enthusiasm and inspiration until this week so it was really nice to write. 6pm to midnight and it was finished :-)

Cheers all,
    John
    Last edited by John Hawksley; 04-05-2005 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Added the link (duh)

Re: Ambient/Pop Orchestral: Things Never Said

Hmmm . . . throughout the entire piece, things are never said . . . couldn't resist . . .

It's a nice piece, I like guitar, even though it's not GPO, and the woodwinds and brass and, well, everything, blend very naturally, and it all sounds very professional!

I'm glad you got some inspiration back, I hope it stays!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Hmmm . . . throughout the entire piece, things are never said . . . couldn't resist . . .

It's a nice piece, I like guitar, even though it's not GPO, and the woodwinds and brass and, well, everything, blend very naturally, and it all sounds very professional!

I'm glad you got some inspiration back, I hope it stays!
    Hey Sean, just on my way up to bed... thanks for the listen, I actually got as far as the mp3 encoding of the first version but there was a little timing problem in the percussion (Giga being slow)... had to throw it and go back to recording it again to DAT (grrrr!!!!) But this version sounds ok I think, no glaring errors :-)

I dunno about inspiration, band starts rehearsing for the summer concerts next week and that usually drains away my musical energy :-(

Thanks again, Sean,
    John

I like it, John Hawksley! It's my "cuppa tea". You demonstrate a good knowledge of orchestration and I appreciate that.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Regards,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

hi Larry,

(You can call me John :-)

Thanks for the listen, yep it came together quite well, just a nice, quiet, neat piece; glad you got a kick out of it! Thanks again.

-John

yep i liked this one,nice the way you held back on the brass till the end.The piece had a lot more shape,than you usually find in this genre.
    Good stuff
    regards

Solid work.

Fine handling of pacing and build... hanging back until the end for the brass.

May I humbly suggest -- duly noting that tempo is highly subjective -- that parts of this along the middle might be served by slightly quicker tempi.

Great sound to it!

etLux
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Hawksley
    hi Larry,

(You can call me John :-)

Thanks for the listen, yep it came together quite well, just a nice, quiet, neat piece; glad you got a kick out of it! Thanks again.

-John
    I just like to say the name...JOHN HAWKSLEY. It sounds like a sailing ship captain in the year 1750 sailing the Atlantic Ocean. Arrrr, me matey.

Regards,

Whitebeard The Pirate
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    I just like to say the name...JOHN HAWKSLEY. It sounds like a sailing ship captain in the year 1750 sailing the Atlantic Ocean. Arrrr, me matey.

Regards,

Whitebeard The Pirate
    LOL I actually laughed at my desk at this - got a couple of odd looks ;-) I must say that is one heck of an impressive beard, Larry! Maybe I should compose a hornpipe next :-D

Joaz- - thanks v much for taking the time to listen, much appreciated

etLux - noted thanks - if it was performed live, it would tend toward quickening toward the end anyhow; and I think some slight tempo changes in the middle would certainly help.... Bear it in mind for the next piece, thanks very much!

-John (Captain) Hawksley

Tempo's one of those things that frequently preoccupies me in my own writing (and amongst the primary reasons G-d invented conductors -- to fine-tune such things in performance for us composers).

I'll often tinker with it for hours; because it really can make all the difference in the world. For me, it becomes a structural and even formal element; especially so in pieces that change time signatures or rhythmic thrust -- where carefully trimming tempi across a change can be crucial to a seamless transition.

But it's also highly subjective, and specific to a given performance, I think. I've heard pieces of mine conducted by others, with tempi broadly different from what I'd scored -- and yet, it worked great.

The point, of course, is that my comment about tempi in this particular piece and performance? Something about a grain of sand comes to mind... lol.

etLux
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast