• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Lyrical Distortion Questions

Share/Bookmark

Lyrical Distortion Questions

Well, I just installed Kompakt and started playing with Lyrical Distortion a little. Since I never used Kompakt before (or Lyrical Distortion) I am pretty clueless how to get the most out of this library. Distorted guitars are pretty important to what I am trying to do. I have mostly been using Virtual Guitarist Electric Edition, some Vintaudio guitars and Slayer of some Van Halen type leads.

How do people work with LD? It looks like I can see all the .nki files in the browser and drop them into Kompakt (it tells me they will sound different because they are Kontakt files. Why does it say that?).

Does everyone just use add each individual .nki file one-by-one? There is no key switching as of now correct? Anything new regarding developing multis? The program would seem to be ideal for simple keyswitching, for example, to control palm mutes and full chords in real time; or to connect an initial picked note with a hammer on (a suggested included in the used manual).

Thanks for any insight into this. I want to get the most I can out of this library.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Re: Lyrical Distortion Questions

Jeffn1,

Many users are making some incredible demos even without the KS patches. However, we have a solid beta team working on update suggestions and KS patches as we speak - which will be freely downloadable for all of our registered users on our forum.

The new KS patches will make playing all articulations in real-time a reality.

Until then - I actually prefer the workflow of loading individual articulations to different midi channel patches. Even after the KS are available this is the way I tend to work. To each their own.

What do you think of the killer tone so far? I'd like to hear your work with the library.

Hope fully the new KS patches (due out soon) will be exactly what you're looking for to make an already great library even more flexible and playable.

Don't hesitate to call or write if you have any other questions, its what Bela D's Customer Care is here for.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Thanks, Alan. You know I think you guys have the best customer care (and I might need some more hand holding than others). I left a post at k-v-r to let them know about this.

I started going through the .nki files and it sounds great! One thing that struck me, as compared to Virtual Guitarist EE, is it seems each chord is available in two inversions. Nice!

It is going to take me a little whiile to figure out how to work with it. A lot of people here have experience working with orchestral libraries where inserting in different articulations in second nature. I am more used to playing in real time and tweaking later.

I have a Kompakt/Kontakt question. It seems like I can only use the "audition" function for the wave files, rather than the .nki files. I guess this makes sense since the .nki files can multiple waves. So in order to check out each .nki file, I have to drag each one into the rack? Its not a big deal, I just want to check.

Once I get a grip on what each .nki file does, I will have greater ability to use them.

But, in general, I would probably prefer keyswitching to move between chugs and full chords, to move between picked notes and hammer-ons, etc.. So I am looking forward to any updates in this area. Don't expect to hear anything from me for a long time (6-8 months), but I am confident my next peice will incorporate LD 1.

Thanks again, Alan.

jeffn1

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lastufka
    Jeffn1,

Many users are making some incredible demos even without the KS patches. However, we have a solid beta team working on update suggestions and KS patches as we speak - which will be freely downloadable for all of our registered users on our forum.

The new KS patches will make playing all articulations in real-time a reality.

Until then - I actually prefer the workflow of loading individual articulations to different midi channel patches. Even after the KS are available this is the way I tend to work. To each their own.

What do you think of the killer tone so far? I'd like to hear your work with the library.

Hope fully the new KS patches (due out soon) will be exactly what you're looking for to make an already great library even more flexible and playable.

Don't hesitate to call or write if you have any other questions, its what Bela D's Customer Care is here for.
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

There are some new multis coming up that really help real time playing. I prefer having chords and chugs laid out in octaves where I can alternate them with my hands, so that's one alternative. Also, there will be a pick/hammer footswitched patch which leaves your hands free for playing.
    That way you can either get a sound going in basically real time and get good results, or you can still load up all the articulations and switch channels if you want to get very picky and specific in your sequencing.

Exclamation Re: Lyrical Distortion Questions

Lyrical Distortion is a very express and powerful set of samples that can produce results such as http://www.beladmedia.com/lyrical-distortion-demos.htm for a small price of $149.99.

LD1/Update 1 is about to be released and is free to all users. This update includes many clever articulations such as foot pedal control and more.

Last, LD1 is the first volume in the series. There are 6 volumes in total to be released. Each volume will be $149.99. Owners of will receive a discount on each version.

Each volume will focus on a genre of guitar. Clean and direct is in the works as well as an extended version of LD (Lyrical Distortion)

Thumbs up Re: Lyrical Distortion Questions

By the way, check out the new box design ...

Anither thing I'm getting is that I can't use my guitar controller for these samples. Most annoying. They just trigger too easily and and many false notes are created. I like the sound, but this tendency makes the library virtually (pun intended) unusable. (as I have no desire to use a keyboard to play guitar)

I'm using a GK3 and a GI-20 interface. 95% of the samples I use (a lot) trigger perfectly. The other 5% can be coaxed with super accurate technique etc. But no go with Lyrical distortion.

I'll try lower sensitivity settings per string and no pitch bend etc. but as I say, the normal settings I use on my interface usually produces good results.

Oh and yes, KS will make the instrument much more playable, thank you.
    Michael Telle
    Vagabond
    Bay Area

Exclamation Re: Lyrical Distortion Questions

It's never been tested so I am not sure how much information we can offer. The library is designed for sample playback via a synth not a guitar controller. I will check with the beta team and see what they come up with. I'd sure hate to think that our product is "unusable" - but keep in mind that I don't believe any of the guys own a Guitar controller.
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Wouldn't that be more an issue of how Kontakt responds to the MIDI info from the controller?? I *may* be able to get my hands on something to check that out with.

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Wouldn't that be more an issue of how Kontakt responds to the MIDI info from the controller?? I *may* be able to get my hands on something to check that out with.
    Hmm, could be.... most samples I trigger these days use their own player, so I haven't really worked too much with Kontakt in this regard. I'm out of my depth here. What sorts of parameters can I look into changing?

Thanks

PS, I just dialed up a few more sounds. This instrument really does sound good. It would be a shame not to be able to use it with a guitar controller because I bet a lot of guitarists will want this just to expand their tonal pallet. Plus, you can rock late at night without plugging in the Dual Rectifier. This is why I bought it. Trying to transfer my 30 years of guitar chops onto a keyboard is not only cumbersome. It is impossible.

Best wishes
    Michael Telle
    Vagabond
    Bay Area

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast