• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Joel McNeely

Share/Bookmark

Joel McNeely

It's odd that I never hear Joel McNeely mentioned as a prominent composer. I bet most hardly know who he is.

The first score that I got was on my 9th birthday, it was Star Wars:Shadows of the Empire by Joel McNeely. This CD consisted of all original material except the main theme by Mr. Williams himself.

I still listen to this score to this day 9 years later. His composistions are on the same par as John Williams, both in terms of melody and complexity.

The reason that I bring him up though is that I was wondering who you all think will "replace"
    John Williams as Steven Speilberg's or George Lucas's main composer. Now I know a man with Williams talent cannot be replaced (*he is my favorite composer by the way*). But just curious what you guys thought about Joel or who you think some other possibilites could be for Spielberg's main man.

Other possibilities
    1.)ME! (HAHAHAHAH )
    2.)David Arnold
    3.)James Newton-Howard
    4.)Alan Silvestri
    5.)Micael Giachino
    6.)Don Davis

Re: Joel McNeely

Hi Evan, this could become a highly contentious issue, speculating who will replace good ol' JW.

I think James Horner is called on to write Williamesque scores at times. He'd have to be a candidate.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Regardless of your opinion of him, James Horner is Speilberg's second composer of choice, for a very good reason. He did score all of his animated features after all.

I think many people, if asked, could replicate the Williams style - people do it all the time. So, when people talk about replacement, it's not a stylistic thing. It's more of a prominence thing.

Because of this, the next 'king of film scores' will be Horner. There is not a single classically trained composer that can match his prominence and marketability in Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Gamble
    It's odd that I never hear Joel McNeely mentioned as a prominent composer. I bet most hardly know who he is.

The first score that I got was on my 9th birthday, it was Star Wars:Shadows of the Empire by Joel McNeely. This CD consisted of all original material except the main theme by Mr. Williams himself.

I still listen to this score to this day 9 years later. His composistions are on the same par as John Williams, both in terms of melody and complexity.

The reason that I bring him up though is that I was wondering who you all think will "replace"
    John Williams as Steven Speilberg's or George Lucas's main composer. Now I know a man with Williams talent cannot be replaced (*he is my favorite composer by the way*). But just curious what you guys thought about Joel or who you think some other possibilites could be for Spielberg's main man.

Other possibilities
    1.)ME! (HAHAHAHAH )
    2.)David Arnold
    3.)James Newton-Howard
    4.)Alan Silvestri
    5.)Micael Giachino
    6.)Don Davis
    Joel McNeely just hasn't had the hits. That's all. He's great composer, but you need the hits to make you a superstar. But, don't worry, he's got work and plenty of cash I'm sure.

I think if Williams had to pick a replacement these days it would be Don Davis. He's already called on him for the last Jurrasic Park. I think he'll call on him again maybe for some of the Harry Potter stuff. I hear, and this is just hearsay, that he likes Don Davis a lot and visa versa.

I think John Williams and Stephen and Lucas are close enough that the filmmakers will just listen to any musical opinion John has. I'm sure he'll leave them in good hands.

I think it could have been James Horner in the early days but times change and so has Horner.

Jose

But remember Speilberg didn't direct Jurassic Park 3 ..Joe Johnson did..But this was the reason I though Davis could be a possibilty as well Jose. Also Davis did that Deep Sea Show..I can't remember the name.. I think Spielberg was involved.

That's the one kink in my argument, Jurassic Park 3. If you look at Joe Johnston's films, most have been scored by James Horner. We all thought that he would be announced, but when Davis's name was put out there, it was pretty shocking. I'm sure that he was asked, but declined. He's done that with many "big" films latley (LOTR, The Passion, etc) so he can score smaller films.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Gamble
    But remember Speilberg didn't direct Jurassic Park 3 ..Joe Johnson did..But this was the reason I though Davis could be a possibilty as well Jose. Also Davis did that Deep Sea Show..I can't remember the name.. I think Spielberg was involved.
    Only time will tell. But my money's on Don Davis. Until I get some hits under my belt.

Cheers,

Jose

The matrix is my favorite score so i think Davis would kick arse!

I really doubt (and hope ) that Mr. Rip off himself and others James Horner won't be the next Williams...

Maybe some years ago it could have worked, he has the skill...

But someone who works in Hollywood told me that after Titanic he thought he had reached his highest level in life, so his EGO just rocketed like Oil Prices in Europe... From what I heard, he even requested that from that moment on, in each film he would have to score, he would also have to play a part as an actor....

Truth? Lies?

I haven't bought a soundtrack of him after Titanic... to me he musically he didn't have anything else interesting to say (excepting some cues like the Opening credits of a Beautifl Mind)

I would say Don Davis, though his themes are a bit dark... he should need some Williams magic... but to me he has enough skills to do it... so Probably it would be Alan Silvestri...

I think that McNeely did a GREAT job at Shadows of the empire - it is still one of my most favorites. His style isnt so Williamslike....he walks his own EPIC way. The track like Beggars canyon chase, Xizors theme, Seduction of princess leia and final track are GORGEOUS.

But the bad is - that he never get chance to score somethnig BIG...some blockbuster movie or something.

Go Back to forum