• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Insomniacs!

Share/Bookmark

Insomniacs!

OK..I just wanna know how many of you composer's out there are insomniacs...its 3:34 right now And I've got school tommorow at 6:30. WHAT THE HELL I'M I DOING UP!? Oh thats right i was writing a piece. Eh I gues its all right, Senior year of high school allocates for a lot of sleeping in class..

Re: Insomniacs!

I am still up it's 4:00am writing this Atonal String Quartet in Sibelius...and I'll get up at 3m and do the production on a jazz scat piece then be up till 4:00 am...'er repeat....luckly I worked out at 7 pm so I have loads of energy! Basically I might stay up but I still sleep nine ten hours ...maybe I am not an insomniac then....hmm....just stay up late.
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

5:30am and I still don't have this melody just right yet. Gunna try sleep now, jsut to shake things up!

Quote Originally Posted by StrangeCat
    ...maybe I am not an insomniac then....hmm....just stay up late.
    That goes for me too. Last night I went to bed at 5 am and that is quite normal for me. Somehow it's relaxing to know that the rest of the neighbourhood is sleeping and I get more productive when it's dark.

Quote Originally Posted by janila
    That goes for me too. Last night I went to bed at 5 am and that is quite normal for me. Somehow it's relaxing to know that the rest of the neighbourhood is sleeping and I get more productive when it's dark.

Me too. I once read a quote from Stravinsky who said he couldn't work if people could hear him compose. I am exactly like that and all my life I have sought total peace when I write. (I don't want to be heard nor do I want to hear others). I have pretty well kept to the night shift all my life.

Of course I do business in the day a lot of times too (and now I have a new baby to deal with as I recently moved my studio into my home). I am a first class insomniac. I get about 4 hours a day on average (although I usually sleep a whole day on the weekends).

The problem is I doubt it's healthy. I was working as a composer and sound designer for a series and I also did the dialog clean-ups. I literally worked 2 days straight, slept a couple of hours and did the same again, for about 3 months. Never again!

I got really sick about 3 years ago (pulminary embollism) which almost killed me. The good thing was for about 6 months I slept around 12 hours a day.
    3 years later and I'm back to the old schedule but I get far more work done in 24 hours than almost anyone Iknow!

Night time composing rules when you're in your teens and 20s. The mind comes alive and you've got the energy and juice to not have to think about going to bed at 4am and getting up again at 8am for a lecture or whatever.

The problem starts when you hit 30 and you find you can't quite hack it the way you used to. Working late into the night and getting up early, night after night, siphens off your daytime energy and leaves you pretty shagged and often looking pretty under par. The problem is when its been the norm for so many years its exceptionally difficult to break. When I'm not composing then my time is devoted to chasing a 15 month old around the house and balancing the business accounts which requires a renewed energy that I find I don't always have.

The other problem is that its erratic. When I've got something that requires a great intensity of thought to work on then I can go for a few days and not think about it. But its after that, when you're sat down trying to relax in bed and recapture some energy, that you find you can't sleep. I have been assured that camomile tea is the answer so I'm going to try for a few months!

Any other answers to the problem on a postcard to:

Panda eyes
    Glazed-stare Cottage
    Worn-outsville
    Trev Parks

I just put my house on the market here in the city . A major factor in that decision was that I like to write around 5am and the neighbors hate it . I can hear them yelling "nooooooooooooo" through the walls after I listened to the same 30 seconds looped for several hours trying to get things worked out and it has killed my creativity here .

I am on my way to the shore to look at some houses this afternoon . I can not wait to have a house that does not have another attached to it !!

For the past 4/5 years I have been going to bed at 5/6 a.m., some days it gets scarier when I push it to 7/8 a.m.

I got this habbit from college, where I would have classes in the afternoon I would stay up late at night studying or doing whatever.
    I discovered that I am a night person and I am much more productive at night. Also I can concentrate a lot more during nightime.

I feel the need to composing and getting your ideas across at night mostly because of the noise that exists during the day. The problem with nightime is that I have to use my crappy headphones which don't help at all giving the right perspective of the sound.

The ideal would be to live in a tiny island away from everyone where I could play drums at 5 a.m. if I wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by amb
    I am on my way to the shore to look at some houses this afternoon . I can not wait to have a house that does not have another attached to it !!
    That's the key issue. Especially if one day you can look out of your studio window and all you see is woods and fields. Makes a difference not being attached to another house, that is definitely for sure. Why? Because I found for years it's always consciously or sub-consciously in the back of your mind, which has a detrimental effect when it comes to writing and making a noise i.e. musical type noises. It's inhibiting.

Quote Originally Posted by T Parks
    I have been assured that camomile tea is the answer so I'm going to try for a few months!
    That's it Trev -give it some time - doesn't just happen over night. No milk - no sugar. And at least think of the benefits of no milk and sugar even if it doesn't quite happen. I recommend Sainsburys own brand packs of 40. Unless you're lucky enough to have Yank friends that send USA ones over to you. They're even better - I can't remember the brand - but they seem a lot better partly because they're free probably.

Thousand Yard Stare

Go Back to forum