• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Lap Tops or Notebooks?

Share/Bookmark

Question Lap Tops or Notebooks?

I'm sure there have been posts on buying a Laptop to run GPO as well as other software so forgive me for asking.
    I am interested in purchasing a Laptop for outside use with my Theatre group as well as other projects. Any well thought out configurations and what is the difference of a "Laptop" from a "Notebook"?
    Thanks in advance?

Note: I didn’t say “Lapdance” so keep it clean!
    Styxx

Re: Lap Tops or Notebooks?

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    I'm sure there have been posts on buying a Laptop to run GPO as well as other software so forgive me for asking.
    I am interested in purchasing a Laptop for outside use with my Theatre group as well as other projects. Any well thought out configurations and what is the difference of a "Laptop" from a "Notebook"?
    Heya, Styxx

I don't think there's much difference between laptops & notebooks... I think the term "notebook" just came into fashion because it sounded more business-like.

Best bet is start off with a machine that's configured to meet GPO's minimum requirements. But if I were you, go for the following at a minimum:

Pentium 4 processor
    2 GB RAM memory
    60GB hard drive
    a decent TFT display
    add-on sound/MIDI module of your choice

I have the above config, and my GPO plays very sweetly (up to 20 independent tracks in 4 VST instances, so far), with no apparent latency issues.

The brand you choose will probably depend on your previous experience and company reputation, and even competitive pricing. But at the end of the day, a PC is a PC, as long it meets the specs, irrespective of the brandname. IMHO
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

Thanks so much for the reply. This is probably a dumb question but what is a decent TFT display?
    Styxx

Thanks so much for the reply. This is probably a dumb question but what is a decent TFT display?
    TFT (Thin Film Transistor) The term typically refers to active matrix screens on laptop computers. Active matrix LCD provides a sharper screen display and broader viewing angle than does passive matrix.

Bottom line, it's a sweet picture, dude.
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

Awesome help Steve! Your the man (and not just in Bermuda!) Hey, and actually it turns out I didn't know that at all! Thanks for teaching and old dog something new.
    Styxx

I think the term "Notebook" comes from the Powerbook by Apple.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Yeah Jess I think you are right there. I've been doing some reading and evaluations on an overall good laptop for my needs and it seems "notebook" is used to describe apple product. Either that or it is just a loose term used in preferential taste.
    Styxx

I remember an apple rep telling me that because the heat generated from a laptop can get too hot, they had to change the marketing of lap top (i.e. it's too hot to put there) to notebook.

You guys think this one will work well with GPO?
    - Oregon Scientific Barbie B-Book Laptop, 60 Activities, 20027
    Styxx

You guys think this one will work well with GPO?
    - Oregon Scientific Barbie B-Book Laptop, 60 Activities, 20027
    From what I can tell, that might just possibly be out of your, er, "age range"... see here

On the other hand, the price is surely right, and the colors are cheerful.

etLux
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum