• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: First trip to a live . . . uh . . . ballet

Share/Bookmark

First trip to a live . . . uh . . . ballet

My professor is offering extra credit for attending and writing up a short paragraph about the St. Petersburg Ballet, which will perform Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet on April 17th. I don't want to pass up the chance for extra credit, so I got tickets (free to us students).

Yet, and I must be honest, I'm not into ballet at all! Watching other people's bodies gracefully flounce around isn't exactly my idea of a good time. I certainly don't mind the music, but ballet seems . . . dare I say . . . effeminate!

Is this just the result of growing up never taking that kind of dance seriously? Is it ignorant and childish to think like this? Or is it natural to be a bit uneasy about such an overt form of art? I'm going to make myself go, I might need that extra credit, but it's making me nervous!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Smile Re: First trip to a live . . . uh . . . ballet

You know what, go there. You might love it.
    The first ballet that I saw was Romeo and Juliet by the Bolshoi Ballet, and I loved it. I was amazed that how beautiful and powerful human could be and move.
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

Re: First trip to a live . . . uh . . . ballet

I haven't seen the ballet but I love the music.

I've only seen live ballet a few times and love it. Don't be fooled - those guys in tights are stronger than many professional athletes. If that doesn’t help, just watch the beautiful, graceful ladies while remembering that any one of them could kick your *.

Enjoy.
    Trent P. McDonald

I felt the same way about ballet before college. After taking two semesters of ballet I became quite aware of just how the opposite is true of the art. Unless one actually experiences what it takes physically to execute any movement in ballet, you never really can appreciate the art. After one week of classes, my feet, legs, and whole body felt like a Mac Truck hit me at full speed! After the second week I never felt better. As far as "effeminate", you try to stand on your toes longer than 30 seconds!
    I remember the football team was required to take the first half of a semester of ballet just to learn the correct way of landing on your feet and to help them with muscle tone. So the first half of my first semester in ballet was intimidating to say the least. The foolish stereotypical depiction on males in ballet is just that, foolish!
    My guess is you will be in for an educational time of enlightenment. Drop the old world thoughts on ballet and look at it as the art form it is intended. That shighst is hard to do man!
    By they way, NO I DIDN’T WARE A TUTU. Bike shorts and a T-shirt was cool no tights either. Hey, the professor preferred the guys not ware the typical garb and she was awesome and her TA was really cute!
    Styxx

1) There's girls onstage too
    2) If that ain't enough close your eyes and listen

Herschel Walker (Dallas Cowboy) took ballet for several years.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

First trip to a live . . . uh . . . ballet
    It's the DEAD ballet you have to worry about!
    Styxx

[QUOTE=SeanHannifin]I don't want to pass up the chance for extra credit, so I got tickets (free to us students).
    /QUOTE]

We had the same "free ticket" deal when I was in school...for ballet and opera, but not for the symphony...go figure.

After two semesters of ballet and opera viewed from the very top of the balcony at the very back of the hall I came away very impressed with ballet (and hating opera). Give it a shot, you may be surprised.

I have to say that both opera and ballet seem to have the same taboo in the US. I would (having more capital) like to see both more often, especially opera.

What those singers can do is more amazing thatn any pop singer. They can fill the entire auditorium with their voices over the top of a sometimes large orchestra. This technique takes years of training and only a few people can do it.

I guess that is why most of the most remembered performers in Music History tend to be the opera singers.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    1) There's girls onstage too
    2) If that ain't enough close your eyes and listen

Ditto. I love ballet. Not because I think it's a great art form. But because I love dancer girls. I dated a few when I was at the conservatory. Flexible. That's all I'll say before I get banned.

Plus the music is top notch.

Cheers,

Jose

Go Back to forum