PMI proudly announces the new generation of sampled pianos.
The new Kontakt 2 software brings the sampled piano to a new level of realism and expressiveness. All aspects of the piano sound, that were previously only partly covered by sampled pianos, are now available to the pianist.
- Sympathetic resonance;
- Convolution-based and recorded damper pedal “sustain” resonance;
- Sostenuto and softpedal;
- IR-based ambience;
Together with the features already implemented:
- amazing dynamic range and responsiveness by using multiple velocity layers. The Gold Bundle pianos (EMPEROR and OLD LADY) use up to 26 recorded dynamic nuances for each key!
- All ‘pedal down’ and ‘release/staccato resonance’ elements are created with convolution impulse models (i.e. more than half of the traditional digital samples can be left unused!) and with traditional sample based recordings. - Overall responsiveness is greatly improved. The traditional limitations of sample based pedal dynamics, continuously varying note release have been transcended, with far greater dynamic accuracy, playability and sonic detail.
-The libraries use all 24bit samples for pristine audio quality
PMI finally has the technology to make an accurate reproduction of the sympathetic resonance of the non-struck piano notes audible. By using the latest technology we can now re-create this very important effect that was missing in sampled piano libraries until now. The principle behind sympathetic resonance is simple enough:
"And all strings
Which are touched in Love
Mechtild of Magdeburg,
8 centuries before Steinway over made it's first piano
or (less philosophic) when a key is pressed on an acoustic piano, the strings for the keys which are already pressed vibrate sympathetically. Overtones of the struck string generate vibrations in the corresponding non-struck strings that start to "speak".
This principle is translated in the use of samples. We use a set of resonating string samples and "activate" them with a piece of artificial intelligence that reproduces the effect very realistically.
For this effect we used 2 additional resonance components:
- one is for the sympathetic resonance of the non-struck strings
- one is for the body resonance of the piano.
The Kontakt 2 versions of Old Lady, Emperor, Bosendorfer 290 and Yamaha C7 will all be available in our on-line store and through selected dealers/distributors within the next 3 weeks. The Grandioso Steinway D, Estonia and the new 96k piano will follow shortly.
For more information check www.postpiano.com in the next few weeks.
Importing the PMI Bosendorfer 290 Plug-In version in K2 is no problem at all.
In fact all K1.5 Kompakt Plug-Ins can be imported.
The new version of our libraries will be a simple addition of a few IR samples, some extra programming and a few nki´s in K2 format.
All new Kontakt disks will ship as full K2 versions and will come with K1.5 compatible nki´s, that simply lack the scripts and convolution.
Therefor existing PMI piano owners can probably upgrade their 1.5 versions to the full K2 versions with a simple download (if all goes well) and new customers get K2 and K1 comaptible disks.
We will also release a PianoSympatethicResonance Disk; it will have a K2 program that can added to all existing piano libraries (PMI or other vendors) that adds realistic Sympathetic Resonance and -hopefully- additional sustain pedal down resonance.
"The illusion that we are separate
from one another is an optical delusion
of our consciousness."