• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is v. 3.04 better than 3.00 and worth risk?

Share/Bookmark

Is v. 3.04 better than 3.00 and worth risk?

After several attempts I finally forced GS 3.00 to work more-less stable on my PC.
    After some debates I think what improvements will 3.04 give to me.
    Or is it better not to touch anything while it works?

Yang

Re: Is v. 3.04 better than 3.00 and worth risk?

I've found 3.04 to be the best for me. If 3.00 works, 3.04 is virtually guaranteed to work. If it doesn't, just re-install 3.00 and make whatever adjustments that are needed. It won't write over any windows tweaks, but you would likely need to re-do any GS settings, like turning off the QuickSound auto scan.

I'd upgrade. 3.00 may appear to work fine, but someday you might run into one of the bugs that was fixed in 3.04.

I highly recommend 3.04 .

-JF

I second what Jon says. I've found that GS3 has gotten more stable with each update version that has been put out thus far.
    Tim

If you plan to use rewire with GS3, then 3.04 is a no brainer. Some have mentioned some quicksound weirdness in 3.04, but I haven't had those problems. It has been very stable for me on the same machine as Sonar 4.

I found 3.01 to offer nothing new for me. 3.02 and 3.03 had problems with stuck notes. 3.04 is the most solid of the lot.

There's one thing that I hope they address: their fix for stuck notes is a bit harsh.

In 3.02 and 3.03 if you played a note, did a program change, and released the note, the note would ring forever, or until you went back to the original patch and did a note on/off. That was wholly unacceptable. In 3.04 all notes stop on a program change. I hope that they soon implement a "playing note memory" so the previous sound will continue to ring, until you release the note. I will even be happy if the correct release sample doesn't play in this situation. But let *me* decide when the note should stop by lifting my finger from the key.

That's really the only fix that I'm hoping for on GS3.

-JF

Thanx, so I updated to 3.04.
    Indeed it works same in terms of stability, but only with QuckSound off. When On it provoke GS to be more unstable than on V.3.00.
    Seems I'll continue safely with 3.04.

yang

Quote Originally Posted by GYang
    Thanx, so I updated to 3.04.
    Indeed it works same in terms of stability, but only with QuckSound off. When On it provoke GS to be more unstable than on V.3.00.
    Seems I'll continue safely with 3.04.

yang
    If you haven't done so already, try disabling the 'background update' feature in quicksound (forget the actual name for this, but you get the idea...) My system would 'burb' from time to time and it turned out it was quicksound updating in the background -- causing instability and weirdness. When I disabled this feature I had no further problems (except for the strange floating menu showing #of gigs that won't go away - just a nuisance really.) Just update manually if you change your .gig file structure or add new instruments to your lib.

Quote Originally Posted by Existence
    except for the strange floating menu showing #of gigs that won't go away - just a nuisance really.
    You too huh? Really annoying when it decides to sit right on top of one of the Port or Aux tabs ...
    Stand by for action - we are about to launch Stingray!

Yeah. The floating thingy. It's probably the most annoying part of the whole program.

It's always the little things...

-JF

Go Back to forum