• Register
  • Help

Topic: sliders knobs etc in your midi keyboard

Share/Bookmark

sliders knobs etc in your midi keyboard

Im about to get a midi keyboard with lots of sliders and knobs etc that can be programmed to change different controllers etc etc

just wanted to know , in your experience using your midi keyboard with the Garritan libraries, how useful do you find the use of sliders, knobs etc in your keyboard, do u use them often, are they useful in practical use of the garritan library, do u do all your editing in the sequencer , or do u change the controllers using the sliders etc of the keyboard, for example portamento etc, do u change them from the keyboard?

thanks for any info
    best

Jav

Re: sliders knobs etc in your midi keyboard

Hi Jav,

I've a Roland A90. It's got a bunch of assignable controllers. The main one of course is Expression, which as you may know controllers the dynamic of each Garritan instrument.

The other one I assigned is the controller which adjusts the release time of the note, because sometimes it's nice to have a quick release for staccatto passages. (can't remember what number this is)

If I'm starting with a sequence (i.e. the piece is for listening rather than for score+parts) then I play the controller data in live using the wheels/sliders etc. If the controller data requires slight editing I'll go back in and do it manually with the mouse.

It's very natural after a while to play expression data with one hand and the music with the other.

Hth,
    John

John thanks lots for your comments, just one thing, when u refer to expression I think u are talking about the modulation controller right? I mean, in the garritan library, the volume of each instrument is controlled by the modulation wheel or the modulation controller cc 1 in any case, are u talking about that one? as far as I know the expression controller is a different one, so do u assign the cc 1 modulation controller to one of your assignable controllers?
    thanks lots for all the info
    Jav

Quote Originally Posted by John Hawksley
    Hi Jav,

I've a Roland A90. It's got a bunch of assignable controllers. The main one of course is Expression, which as you may know controllers the dynamic of each Garritan instrument.

The other one I assigned is the controller which adjusts the release time of the note, because sometimes it's nice to have a quick release for staccatto passages. (can't remember what number this is)

If I'm starting with a sequence (i.e. the piece is for listening rather than for score+parts) then I play the controller data in live using the wheels/sliders etc. If the controller data requires slight editing I'll go back in and do it manually with the mouse.

It's very natural after a while to play expression data with one hand and the music with the other.

Hth,
    John

anybody has tried the new pcr-m50?

Quote Originally Posted by javismiles
    John thanks lots for your comments, just one thing, when u refer to expression I think u are talking about the modulation controller right? I mean, in the garritan library, the volume of each instrument is controlled by the modulation wheel or the modulation controller cc 1 in any case, are u talking about that one? as far as I know the expression controller is a different one, so do u assign the cc 1 modulation controller to one of your assignable controllers?
    thanks lots for all the info
    Jav

Go Back to forum