• Register
  • Help

Topic: Computer suggestions for MIDI "newbie" planning to use Gigastudio and Cubase VST?

Share/Bookmark

Computer suggestions for MIDI \"newbie\" planning to use Gigastudio and Cubase VST?

I\'m an experienced classical pianist - but a MIDI \"newbie\" 2 months into a college course with a good lab. I have a good keyboard (Yamaha P-80) and I am increasingly convinced that Gigastudio (when released) with Cubase VST is the direction I want to go for classical composing. Whats a good reliable off the shelf at COMP USA type of computer for all this to use as my dedicated MIDI computer ? Seems that a single LARGE hard disk is the main feature I will need (with about 128 RAM), since Gigastudio samples won\'t use RAM. What are the ESSENTIAL features for a good new MIDI-dedicated computer for this software ? Oh...I hope to record finished work to CD eventually..but performing is not an issue...just me and my headphones composing (16 part multi-timbral max) for eventual burning to CD and perhaps sending out as MP3. Thanks !

Re: Computer suggestions for MIDI \"newbie\" planning to use Gigastudio and Cubase VST?

1.Mobo/CPU: Intel PIII, min 500. Use 133Mhz FrontsideBus speed.
    2.64 Mb Ram, buy the rest elswhere but... end up with 256 Mb (2x128) in total. Use 133Mhz chips.
    3. Two HDs, one as boot disk and programs (including GS), the second ONLY for your .gig files. Go for the Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 40 (boot=1O, audio=40 gig, $350 in total)
    4. Plextor (Plexwriter IDE 8/4/32) CD-writer to back up stuff
    5. Videocard: Matrox G400 Max if you need two monitors for running Gigstudio and Cubase.

Re: Computer suggestions for MIDI \"newbie\" planning to use Gigastudio and Cubase VST?

Thanks Elle ! Do you like any particular off-the-shelf, major brand computer these days, if you were buying one, as the starting point for developing a finished computer like the one you suggest ? Or would you have it custom made ? I hope to have a complete finished machine with monitor, but not including software and a few other modules of course, for 2,000 to 2,500.

Some remarks:
    1. Knowledge and time are the two main parameters. Let\'s assume you are not knowledgable, then...
    2. The mainstream comps are often not geared towards DAW specs, but if you can find a good one, they would be ideal in terms of support/service.
    3 the next best thing is finding a custom shop, that will offer service and guarantee on a custom PC at a higher price.
    3. if not suitable, try to enthuse a computerclub or knowledgeable friend in assisting you in doing it yourself.

Good luck

Don\'t forget system backup software and a serious UPS. They\'ll save your a** when something (horrendous computer crash, lightning, hyperactive Great Dane crashes into your rig, etc.) goes wrong and you\'ve got three hours before the deadline.

Checkout Retrospect backup software from dantz.com. It used to be only for Mac but now runs on both platforms.

Don\'t forget system backup software and a serious UPS. They\'ll save your a** when something (horrendous computer crash, lightning, hyperactive Great Dane crashes into your rig, etc.) goes wrong and you\'ve got three hours before the deadline.

Checkout Retrospect backup software from dantz.com. It used to be only for Mac but now runs on both platforms.

Hi guys,

Plan a HDSW (hard disk sampling workstation)?
    Eat your heart out with this one: http://www.txconnect.com/home/ignot/article/art.htm

Go Back to forum