• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Please Help with Strings

Share/Bookmark

Please Help with Strings

I'm looking for some great string resources, be it from film scores, classical scores, etc. (if possible, please give specific pieces/cues with composers names) I'm in need of some inspiration for writing a string orchestra piece, and would appreciate the recommendations. THANKS!

Re: Please Help with Strings

Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings...

Best ever written IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings...

Best ever written IMHO
    You've just reminded me of how good that work is! Rediculously good!
    evaclear
    Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm...

My Stuff

To that I played in my orchestra two years ago in my middle school:

M to the Third Power by Carold Nunez

Petite Overture by Eliot Del Borgo

M cubed has great interesting harmonic progressions, and Petite Overture is just a great peice. I would recomend you look at the score, or at least listen to the peices above. Although scored for a young orchestra, they are still great peices.

Hope this helps,
    Chris

Stravinsky's Apollon Musagete (or simply Apollo) is a ballet in neoclassical style scored only for strings - a brilliant piece.

There's a symphony by living composer Howard Blake called "The Leeds" and it contains some of the must beautiful string stuff I've ever heard. Hop onto tower.com and pick it up -- whether for research or just for your own pleasure, it is STUNNING.

Kerry

I've got to the point where I can't listen to the Barber "adagio" anymore. It's so, uh, everywhere.

I like Jennifer Higdon's work. She is hands down one of the best living composers around imo. Check out the stunning string writing in her "Concerto for Orchestra".

Also maybe give a listen to Stravinsky's "Concerto in D for String Orchestra" --good music, if largely and inexplicably neglected.

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy
    I've got to the point where I can't listen to the Barber "adagio" anymore. It's so, uh, everywhere.

I like Jennifer Higdon's work. She is hands down one of the best living composers around imo. Check out the stunning string writing in her "Concerto for Orchestra".

Also maybe give a listen to Stravinsky's "Concerto in D for String Orchestra" --good music, if largely and inexplicably neglected.
    I know exactly what you mean... but in all fairness it still is king of string

Don't laugh but if you want a 'filmscore' example I still remember the first time I heard the string work on James Newton Howard's "Snow fallin upon Cedars" ( I think that was the film's title - Film OK, but the string work was a stand out.)

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by loogoo
    Stravinsky's Apollon Musagete (or simply Apollo) is a ballet in neoclassical style scored only for strings - a brilliant piece.
    I will second this and add Bartok's music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta. Also, it is not for string orchestra, but Bartok's string quartets are wonderful.

Go Back to forum