• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Studio Monitors

Share/Bookmark

Studio Monitors

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    One year on, and I just have to say, I'm still in LOVE with my Dynaudio BM6s studio monitors!!

Just can't get sick of them and I can listen for hours without ear fatigue!

What's everyone else using??
    evaclear
    Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm...

My Stuff

Re: Studio Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by evaclear
    One year on, and I just have to say, I'm still in LOVE with my Dynaudio BM6s studio monitors!!

Just can't get sick of them and I can listen for hours without ear fatigue!

Wharfedale Diamond Pro Actives, of which one apparently just blew an amp... They sound(ed) wonderful. Five year warranty, thank god.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

I recently moved up here to Canada and some of my fellow sound designers recommended these Yorkville YSM-1Ps. They were only $600.00/pr Canadian. I referenced them against some Behringer Truths, KRK V8s, Genelec 1032As and some of those 400 dollar M-Audios.

I referenced them with Enya, Ben Folds, Seal and the Verese Sarabande 25th Anniversary Celebration (film scores)

Compared to these Yorkvilles, the Truths sounded muddy in the low-end, the KRKs sounded dull in the highs and the M-Audios just seemed too unbalanced in the low-mids. Of course, the Yorkvilles didn't sound quite as good as the Genelecs, but given the price differential, I'll take 'em.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

Tannoy LGM (Little Gold Monitors) 12" two way coaxial

JBL 4206

Extremely ear piercing but acurate to a fault. When I transfer my finished scores to a final mix the results are just spectacular. Don't know why. I'm not an engineer I just know that these little babies are so reliable.

Cheers,

Jose

I love those speakers, DPDan. Do you have the Mastering Lab crossovers in them?

Homebuilts!

http://www.fairhurst.com/jon/speakers/index.html

-JF

I use KRK V8's. I love them

Genelecs with the Genelec sub

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    GO JON!!!

I've got homebuilts too!!

What a coincidence!

Mine were made last summer (of 2004) with my grandfather and I. He's a super smart sound engineer (kinda like you) and we built my speakers together. I can't remember the brand names of all the drivers, but the tweeters are 1" titanium dome (GREAT SOUND!!), midranges 2 1/2", midbasses duel 6" that are in a push-pull configuation, and the woofers are in a seperate box that sits in the middle of it all with 4 12" drivers all in a push-pull configuration with two drivers facing the outside of the box and the other two inside it. The woofer box is about 1 1/2' deep by 3' wide by 4' tall and 180 lbs! I'm so proud of that! And we used a homemade crossover at 40 db per octave built by my aunt and grandpa in the '70s. The result is a totally flat system that goes clean down to 20 htz and up clean to above the hearing range of the human being. TERIFFIC SYSTEM!!! All of the casings are almost completely rigid, and there's even a beautiful red oak stain on it all.

OK, y'all are all pretty bored by the end of that, huh?

There's a crossover that's pretty expensive ($2000) called the DEQX. My grandpa uses it on his system and he loves it. When you hook up a calibrated mic and a computer to it, it'll send a sweep of all frequencies through the system and smooth out every single tiny ripple in frequency reponse. That way you can get a flat freqency response through just about any decent speakers.

OK.

I'm rambling.

Reguards,
    Chris

EDIT: I started a new page again..........

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast