• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sampler for Cubase... Should I stay with Kontakt?

Share/Bookmark

Sampler for Cubase... Should I stay with Kontakt?

Hi,

A new band member recently let me check out his studio. He runs Cubase SX2 and Halion 2. I was impressed enough with Cubase to warrant this question...

As a Sonar/Kontakt user, if I switch to Cubase (3.0 I believe is the latest), should I migrate over to Halion as well? I guess VST adaptability is my main concern. Also, if there's an noticeable increase in sample load times, that would be cool!

Thanks,
    Jon

(BTW, my sample libraries each contain Halion and Kontakt versions so that shouldn't be a problem)

Re: Sampler for Cubase... Should I stay with Kontakt?

No you can stay with Kontakt.

Cool Re: Sampler for Cubase... Should I stay with Kontakt?

I have been using both Steinberg products for about 15 months (initially HALion2). There seems to be no special integration of the HALion3 VST with Cubase SX[2] that you might expect since both products come from parent Steinberg. At this point, though, I am teetering on the notion of upgrading my Kontakt Player 1.5x (which came with the Garritan Personal Orcehstra) to FULL Kontakt 2 (and all that included VSL and other content) for NI's price of $339.

Some folks have said that there's no need to have TWO full samplers, but I figure that being able to compare the features in each may keep me on my toes and perhaps utilize features in one of the other than have some edge.

i hope this helps ... KevinKauai

I really like both samplers - I have HALion 3.1 and Kontakt 1.5.3. They, to a certain degree, put different emphasis on things. Right now, I'd say that HALion's streaming engine is more efficient, with higher voice counts and lower pre-loads (more samples for more complex instruments) with Kontakt having more intelligent looping file support and more complex dynamic switching inside of instruments - and Kontakt 2 is supposed to be a knockout.

I would recommend that *if* you go to Cubase SX3, that you try out the HALion demo that comes with it. See if that fits your needs. If not, then you can re-up for Kontakt 2 and should be able to rock on. None of these companies rest on their laurels too much, so I'd expect to see an update to NI's DFD engine at some point, as well as timed loop and convolution support on HALion. I don't have any inside information, but have been around long enough to know that as these apps mature, their feature sets tend to converge. On that count alone, in your case I'd lean toward sticking with Kontakt and seeing how it plays out. The dedicated instruments coming out based on the HALion player platform look really nice, and the HALion OEM player with their default content is a nice addition for <$100 - which means you could see all of the benefits of the HALion technology without having to buy the full sampler. Your options are plentiful, take your time in choosing.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

A vote for Kontakt here.

I used Kontakt 1.5.3 in SX 1, 2 and 3 - and it was wonderful. I bought HALion3 when it first arrived and was less than impressed. Sold that off to a friend and now continue with Kontakt 2.

I've recently crossgraded my SX 3 to SAW Studio.

Just remember - its not about the tools - its not even about how you use them... it's all about the music. Don't let spec sheets and Flash banners distract you from creating.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Well thanks all... I had heard that Kontakt was originally written as a VST instrument and therefore it may have been better suited for Steinberg apps (although for me, 1.53 has run great as a DX plugin in Sonar). I will admit however, I'm hesitant to move to Kontakt 2 because I've read about slow sample load times (compared to 1.5) and other problems that always seem to plague NI's first non-updated releases. Kontakt 1.0 was no picnic if some of you remember!

Well, without getting into advertising: HALion 3 runs very well inside SONAR 3 & 4. So regardless if you switch to Cubase you should definately try out HALion.

cheers
    Helge

I've now had Kontakt 2 [cross-grade, because of having the Kontakt 1.5.x player for GPO] for almost a month. The more I learn about it, the more I like it. I had HALion2 when I initially got Cubase SX2, thinking there would be some kick-butt integration that would offer an edge. To my evaluation now (and on HALion 3) there really isn't. HALion 3 is just another VSTi from the point-of-view of Cubase SX.

Frankly, after hearing more about other sequencers (Sonar, DP, etc.) I'd be really tempted if one of them offered a cross-grade (give up my Cubase SX 2) especially if any had an "import" function that would take my old ".cpr" file in for when I want to revise. (I suppose I could export to MIDI, but that would probably involve re-voicing everything.)

There's some real excitement in the past few days about eliminating the "machine gun" effect on rapidly repeated staccato notes coming from work and tests by Theo Krueger on the VI (here: http://www.vi-control.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1459 ) and SoundsOnline forums. While some are saying that they were aware of this technique before, Theo has worked it out to a cookbook that really works in the Kontakt2 sampler. (So far, we are not sure is HALion 3 has equivalent capability.)

We may SOON also have a "Kontakt2 User Page" where folks who have the VSL content and EWQLSO/Gold can download the small ".nki" files that implement the "machine gun elimination" -- so that every person doesn't have to go through the necessary steps to effect this solution.

Stay tuned! KevinKauai

Go Back to forum