• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Here's a thought for you ...

Share/Bookmark

Question Here's a thought for you ...

What makes us what we are? Where does the music come from we first hear in our hearts and souls? How do we know where to go or how to make sense of all the sounds that magically appear inside? Who, or what put it there? If we don't act on it right away we tend to forget. Does it really go to someone else so as not to go unheard? Why do some of us strive for one sound, style, genre, and others, other? Are really ones composition really better than an others or just different from the rest? What would become of us if it all suddenly stopped?
    Please make your notes up to and including eigth notes.
    Styxx

Re: Here's a thought for you ...

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Are really ones composition really better than an others or just different from the rest? .
    I am afraid I am going to have to really insist,that my compositions are better than anyone else.Ever.Including the whole history of Music.
    And when I have finished the therapy and medication,and they let me out of here,I will prove it to the world.
    MMwaaah ha ha ha ha MMwaah ha ha ha (Cackles like Dr Evil)

It is interesting that a bad composition is very easy to spot, but no one can say what is best.

I will say that Beethoven is pretty close.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    It is interesting that a bad composition is very easy to spot, but no one can say what is best.

I will say that Beethoven is pretty close.
    True, yet let us think in terms of our own music. K?
    Styxx

Let's have another subjective argument!

No, seriously, I have no idea where music comes from. There are a bunch of pretty descriptions and quotes like "music is communicating without words" or "music is the connection to the soul." Yeah, that all sounds nice, and perhaps true in some respects, but you might as well try to describe love!

However, music is scientifically related to at least a couple things: rhythm and language.

For some reason our brains love rhythm. It comes natural to just about everyone. Not many children can resist playing some toy drums or just beating out a rhythm on some kind of wall.

It's linked to language because, when scientists studied the areas of the brain involved when listening to music (not John Cage), the language department lit up. Also, there have been occasions when people have had strokes and their part of the brain that deals with language gets messed up. It is hard for them to comprehend language, but more surprisingly, they can make no sense of music. Melodies sound random and structureless and impossible to memorize. I think I read an article about this in Time Magazine . . . well, I read it somewhere, it was very interesting.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Thumbs up Re: Here's a thought for you ...

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    What makes us what we are? Where does the music come from we first hear in our hearts and souls? How do we know where to go or how to make sense of all the sounds that magically appear inside? Who, or what put it there? If we don't act on it right away we tend to forget. Does it really go to someone else so as not to go unheard? Why do some of us strive for one sound, style, genre, and others, other? Are really ones composition really better than an others or just different from the rest? What would become of us if it all suddenly stopped?
    Please make your notes up to and including eigth notes.
    I really believe in a famous description of music, that sounds like:

"Music is a hidden mathematic of the soul, measuring them self unconsciously"

I think that we are able to mix in the music the emotional component of words and language, that every songs shows (poor lyrics became magic with good music, and poor music became magic with deep lyrics: good music with good lyrics can shock your soul more than every music or every text...)

The most magic expression is then the pure music, that contain some hidden word talking directly to your soul.

Unexpressive music is nearly noise. It let you cold, or worse, make you anxious: because nothing gives to the man more panic than the "I don't understand" feeling.

P.S. I personally love music so much that every kind of music, if I feel it sounding good, can make me happy, really every kind of.
    But J.S. Bach is something more....

I don't know exactly where the music comes from (I have a few ideas though), but for me, I think that I'm trying to express feelings/emotions that can't be described with words or actions.

As somebody wrote in my high school newspaper once:

"I feel the music flow into my heart so passionately."
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I've been trying to work out this all of my life. The creative mind has always intrigued me, the brain itself, specifically. Neuroscience has got a way to go yet, but some things are becoming clearer.
    As has been pointed out before, the mind is a sucker for maths. It loves rhythms etc. And its associated with memory and learning.
    I've got a lot of research and have written a fair bit myself but just briefly

Heres a link on Neural timing
    http://www.timedoc.net/timing/mus1.htm

But what intrigues me most is the "right temporal lobe" in the brain
    generally its function are put down as

*Perception of melodies
    *Pitch/prosody
    *Social cues
    *Reading facial expression
    *Increased blood flow during tonal memory
    *Decoding vocal intonation
    *Rhythm
    *visual learning

and more depending on what you read.

But also this is the part of the brain affected by things like meditation, religion, spiritual experiences, and also hallucigenic drugs. So a lot of the practices that people use to try and achieve "enlightenment" or whatever you'd like to call it.
    Its the part of the brain that has been called the "god spot". Heres a link
    http://www.lightworks.com/MonthlyAsp...l/feature2.htm

Put simply i make music because fro me its a form of focused meditation, but its also a discipline. Doubly so when using a computer. The gap between pure ideas or feelings and manufacturing them using a mouse/computer/software etc is long. But to be able to hold that feeling throughout the entire process is furfilling. I write music, not to hear it, but to do it. And through doing that over the years i have receached an extremely balanced state of mind. Trust me on that one.
    Grim Fandango explained jazz to me.

[QUOTE=Styxx]What makes us what we are? Where does the music come from we first hear in our hearts and souls? How do we know where to go or how to make sense of all the sounds that magically appear inside? Who, or what put it there?

"gitcha gitcha ya ya da da"

Music is the playground on a cooling summer eve.....it feels natural to me.
    Bosco Adama

Go Back to forum