• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: GPO Organ

Share/Bookmark

GPO Organ

I'm a church organist and I've become very fond of the organ included with GPO and am interested in enlarging the sounds I have but I can't find a link anywhere to where I can get info on what might be available and for sale.

Does anyone have any idea how I could get more info on that organ and whether or not there are any more stops from it for sale anywhere?

Thanks,
    Tom

PS I have the Post Organ Toolkit and also like it, but I want more pipe organ sounds.

Re: GPO Organ

Tom,

I'd recommend dropping a pm / email on Richard Wayland. He's contributed around a dozen organ pieces to the Composer Channel so I'm thinking it's clearly his instrument of choice. He might have some tips that would be useful to you.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Also, don't overlook the new controllers for organ in the update. They allow most stops to be adjusted for a wide variety of timbre changes. Easy to control if you have assignable hardware sliders. Here's a link to the update documentation: http://www.garritan.com/support/GPOUpdate.pdf See page 17.

Tom

Some whileago I posted a tutorial showing how to get the most out of the existing GPO organ; you may find it useful.

Go to http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/GPO_OrganTutorial.html

Terry

Thanks, Terry! That is very useful to me.

One thing I'm not sure about though; in the post script you say to take a Prinzipal, tune it down a octave, turn the frequency volume to max and now you have a flute 8. What is making the timbre of a Prinzipal turn into the timbre of a flute?

Any way, what I was originally after is that I like the sound of this organ a lot, particularly the flute so I was wondering if the person who did the sampling of this organ might have a fuller version for sale, with, say, Flute or String Celestes, Salicional, Gamba, Viole, etc. So, do you by any chance know who the sample maker is and where to contact him/her? I saw on your tutorial that it is a Beckerith Tracker Organ but I don't know where it is or anything else about it, so I would appreciate any info you might have about it or where I might find out.

Thanks,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TomcatII
    Any way, what I was originally after is that I like the sound of this organ a lot, particularly the flute so I was wondering if the person who did the sampling of this organ might have a fuller version for sale, with, say, Flute or String Celestes, Salicional, Gamba, Viole, etc. So, do you by any chance know who the sample maker is and where to contact him/her? I saw on your tutorial that it is a Beckerith Tracker Organ but I don't know where it is or anything else about it, so I would appreciate any info you might have about it or where I might find out.

Thanks,
    Tom
    Hi Tom,

These organ samples are only available as part of GPO. Gary Garritan (the Lord and Master of almost all things good in the sampling kingdom) would be the owner. I have seen organ samples for sale by other developers, but for life of me I can’t think of where.

I have absolutely no real knowledge of this, but often when sampling is done they record much more than what ends up in the library. It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if there were not more samples for the GPO organ coming with the advanced version later this year, or whenever.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by TomcatII
    Thanks, Terry! That is very useful to me.

One thing I'm not sure about though; in the post script you say to take a Prinzipal, tune it down a octave, turn the frequency volume to max and now you have a flute 8. What is making the timbre of a Prinzipal turn into the timbre of a flute?

Thanks,
    Tom
    The so-called Prinzipal sounds more like a flute, don't you think? Anyway it works.

If you have a Soundblaster card, or can get hold of Livesynth Pro or sfz, you can use the wonderful Jeux soundfont, which has every organ stop imaginable, for free. Google for anything you don't recognise.

Hi Tom, I'm an organist/composer and a GPO fan. Here's some stuff I've noticed when I work with the GPO organ stops:

1. You're right, there are no celestes of any kind. That probably has more to do with the choice of a von Beckerath instrument (a neo-baroque builder who probably wouldn't have thought to include celestes in the specification). TO MAKE celestes, I just use the "full lush strings" or whatever it's called from the string section of GPO. Works out okay, I think.

2. The 8 and 4 flutes combination is pretty good (though you'll find they're out of tune as they go down to the bottom of the keyboard -- why the organ tuner didn't tune these up the day they sampled is mystifying).

3. Full organ is good, but it's kinda screamy and neo-Baroque. In the future, a GPO organ might want to have a plenum that's more romantic-organ in sound, or even just "american classic" (sorta Aeolian Skinner era).

4. The "cornet" stop is NOT really a cornet (in the French/American sense), it's a sesquialtera, containing a principal. It's not bad as it goes, but you couldn't use it in place of a true cornet.

5. It's true, the "principal" stop is a 4' principal -- would be better if it were an 8', but as you observed you can tune it down the octave. I also wish we had just an 8'flute alone, which would be very useful, and I'm not sure that fiddling with the Principal makes it ever sound like a "flute" (by which I mean and ORGAN flute, not an orchestral flute... there may be some confusion there).

What the GPO organ really doesn't (yet) include are any kind of build-up of foundations, then reeds, then mixtures, in the way an organist would do (especially if playing WITH and orchestra). I try to get around this by adding in other instruments from the rest of GPO, like a trumpet for a reed, etc. This seems to work okay.

From the sound of things, I'll bet Gary Garritan comes up with new upgrades for all these things over time! It just all seems to get better.

Steve Main
    Steve Main
    stmain@aol.com
    www.stephenmain.com

Larry G Alexander mentioned this as well as Steve did above, but I thought I would expand a bit on the subject.
    You can mix in a little bit of orchestral instruments running tutti to the organ in octaves or in unison. You can also mix and match different stops included in the GPO organ. (At my church I play a hammond, so I'm not very knowledgable about real pipe organs, BTW) You can also mix in some synth sounds very lightly. Some pads that are on your sound card's synths are nice, too. You can mix in lightly different crappy sounds from your sound card's synth. My particular card has a horrible bassoon sound that goes well with the full organ. You can mix and match just about anything, so long as you don't overdoo it and make sure that it still sounds like an organ.

Get your creative juices flowing! This stuff is fun!!

-Chris

Thanks guys for all the info.

LOL, what I really want is a properly sampled, well tuned and maintained set of samples from a large Hook and Hastings Co. romantic organ. They are my favorite organ builders of all time and were active from the late 1800's to somewhere around 1930.

In the meantime, I've now had a chance to run through what I got in the mail last wednesday; my copy of Post Organ Toolkit. I am really amazed at what all I got for $75 usd. While it is not all great (some of it is from an organ(s) that had a wonky reed or two in the bunch or the reeds simply change timbre in the middle of an octave so that it is like two different organs were put together on one manual) there is a lot of it that is very useful and good. There are some good flutes AND some good celestes as well as good principals all in various combinations. It is good enough that I will probably order the Post Baroque Organ for $125 usd because I think Post does good work.

If you have enough money ($500 usd) you can get a LARGE set of samples of two organs in Budapest, Hungary. Just Google for Notre Dame de Budapest organ and it will take you to their site.

LOL, sure wish Gary would ask me along on the next organ sampling session to have input on how things were recorded; I even know where there is a really great romantic period organ: Marylhurst University in Lake Oswego, Oregon in the Holy Names Sisters chapel/music auditorium (St. Ann's Chapel) which was rescued from a church in New England that was about to be torn down and it was reworked and then installed by George Bozeman. Also there are TWO really, really good relatively new organs at Mt. Angel Abbey both of which were built by Martin Ott.

Tom

PS Steve, the reason they didn't tune the organ before they sampled it was so that it would accurately represent the way organs normally are in the real world.

Go Back to forum