• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Studios Monitors: Final Thoughts

Share/Bookmark

Studios Monitors: Final Thoughts

The ballots are in, the voting is done. I know I've started one or two studio monitor threads in the past, but now....this is it. I've done a lot of listening, questioning, and researching. For the people who are looking for, or already have studio monitors, what were you looking for when buying them?

My Final Decision...DA DA DA

Event Studio Precision 8's
    http://www.event1.com/Products/studi...sion_gold.html

Main contenders I reviewed were the Mackie HR824's, KRK V8's, Event Tuned Reference 8's. I had also looked at lower lines such as the M-Audio BX-8 and Alesis 1's. I didn't look at Genelecs or Dynaudio, mainly because they were far from my range (especially Dynaudio).

Things that sold me on Event SP8's

PROS:

8" Drivers
    Silk Drivers (smooth highs)
    Solid Mids
    Punchy Tight Bass
    Front Porting
    Nice trim options
    ..They look gorgeous!

CONS:

Pricey

I found my monitor. I almost bought them today, but decided to wait for my car to sell. Didn't feel like putting it on credit anyways.

What are you using and why?

Jared

Re: Studios Monitors: Final Thoughts

I use Event, I think they kick ~~~, they are one of the best kept secrets in the pro industry. They are about 50% cheaper than Mackies or Gen's and sound about 200% better and more accurate!

Great decision, you'll love them!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Yep, nice monitors.

I use a few different ones for my setups, PMC TB2S being ones that I really like, but the Precisions are on my shopping list.

I use Truth B2031A's you know i did that I went around listened to my mixes and music on different monitors, then I came to the conclusion that none of these places have the same acoustics as I have...so I started looking for monitors where I could adjust the room that's why I choose B2031A's Truths, once you get used to your Monitors it won't matter what you buy really, you just have to get used to what you buy. Truths were really cheap too for the non 1000 dollar range I think there great
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Good for you.... I know many people like those.

Kays, I'm gonna have to disagree with ya (Genelec 1032 user here ). But whatever, to each his own, eh?

Cat --- that's not entirely true (RE: everything is the same so long as you're used to it). Thing is, certain monitors "won't" allow you to hear what's "actually" coming off the board (in those cases you're not hearing what's actually on tape, so to speak, you're hearing the monitor more so). Doesn't matter how "used to" the monitor you are if it's misleading you. Expensive monitors are expensive for a reason. It's not based on hype....

I say that relatively speaking.... I don't think everyone should spend 3-4 thousand dollars on monitors but pros should definitely not be using low end monitors IMO. If it's just for fun, well then it's not as important the mix is perfect. (again IMO)

Anyone out there using computer speakers... shame on you. ;-)

KID

It is certainly not worthwhile to invest in expensive pro monitors unless they are listened in a treated environment. Even with semi-pro monitors, it is also important to treat the listening environment in order to justify the money spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Rach3
    It is certainly not worthwhile to invest in expensive pro monitors unless they are listened in a treated environment. Even with semi-pro monitors, it is also important to treat the listening environment in order to justify the money spent.
    So true! Cheap monitors in a good invironment can sound a multiple times better than "top of the bill" monitors in a big empty room.

I've noticed that there is a movement towards room adjusting components in some of the new speaker sets coming out. I think JBL has one and I saw an ad for another one a while back (Alesis maybe?) which have a microphone and an auto adjusting feature for compensating for a rooms frequency weaknesses. I always thought that was a good idea for the prosumer market because there's a lot of cats buying speakers now who don't understand that it's not about the speaker, but more about the room you're listening to them in. It's not necessarily a good idea to determine the strengths of a speaker based on a "music store" listening session because music store listening conditions are typically less than ideal. That said, most of the near field monitors out there sound pretty good. A lot better in overall quality than the era before Mackie blazed the near-field revolution.

I used Mackie 824s for years before upgrading to a high-end solution which worked well and got the job done. Now I have a pair of Genelec 1029s as near-fields sitting on my desk which sound terrible but get the job done for composing and general construction work. I use studio Tannoy mains for mixing.

-Jamey

I chose the ASP6. All things being equal, I wanted a small footprint. The 6s are pretty much identical to the 8s except for the added bass. For a small room and unless your style of music really demands a booming bass, the 6s may actually be better than the 8s. particularly if your room is not designed and baffled in a professional way. As has been pointed out in other threads, an 8 inch monitor with intense bass in a small room can become a mid-field in an undesirable way...but I am a rank amateur on this, reporting what I read elsewhere. However, you should look at the 6s for the above reason and because they are cheaper!

When you are ready to buy try: www.riksmusic.com for price.

Ed

I don't entirely agree with that as a blanket statement. The listening environment is extremely important, and you're not going to hear everything if it has bad problems, but I see no reason to compound a bad environment with bad speakers.

You also have to ask what "expensive" means and what speakers you're talking about. For example, the B&O Beolab 5, which uses a wide-dispersion design by Dave Moulton and Manny Lacarruba, would sound good in a hotel room. ("Would" because I've heard their speakers with the same driver design in a hotel room, and they sound amazing.) Those speakers are $15K/pair or something - and worth it.

But even in project studios, I'd much rather not have crap monitors.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast