• Register
  • Help

Topic: >2Gb?

Share/Bookmark

>2Gb?

Hey, folk,
    with these monster apps getting greedier by the minute, has anyone gone up to 3Gb RAM, or maybe 4? Is is necessary, yet?

I'm planning/hoping to run SONAR 4.02PE with GS3 (in GS3 mode), Waves, SoundForge 7 (8?) ....

Thoughts, Jon Fairhurst, anyone else ....
    Derrkins

Music is an exact, inexact, subjective, objective ArtScience.
    - Derrkins 2002
    -----------------------------------------
    Stepped up again ....
    New specs ....
    Core 2 Quad 2.4
    Intel Media Edition MoBo
    2x2gb RAM

Re: >2Gb?

My old system had 3GB, my new system has 2GB but will be upgraded to 4GB.

If you're going to use only one application, say GS 3.0, it probably doesn't make much sense to go above 2GB. The GS would not be able to use more anyway. It may use only up to 1.4GB or so after doing memory tweaks.

If you are going to run multiple applications that are memory hungry, it definitely makes sense to use more than 2GB.

Windows XP manages memory so that it divides it into kernel and application spaces. 2GB is the maximum that can be used by the kernel. All applications share the same kernel space. The application space is limited to 2GB per application. So, a single application can see total of 4GB of memory space (up to 2 for kernel and up to 2 for its own use).

If you use multiple applications, it is easy to see that one may use, say 1GB, the other may use 1.5GB and so on. Kernel may use total of 0.1GB or so depending on how it's being used by OS and applications. If you tweak your OS nicely, kernel space would be very small.

I do not know how much kernel space is required by GS or similar applications, but you may estimate that by looking at the windows task manager. It should be below 50MB... I guess.

I run various VST soft synths, standalone synths and GS 3.0. Each of these may use arbitrary amount of memory (based on how much you installed). None of them would be able to grab more than 2GB though.

Another question that you didn't ask, but is worth answering is:

* does it make sense to have a page file if you have 3GB or 4GB of RAM?

The answer would be yes if you run multiple applications, since each one can then use up to 2GB "virtual space". However, if you just run one "big" application, the answer would be no since 2GB is the limit for a single application space.

Finally, a word of caution, if you create huge page file and have huge memory, but your applications really do not use too much memory, you may get worse performance since windows would use the page file anyways if it has it, and if it is "big enough".

I hope that helps.

Regards,
    Bogdan

Nice insights! I'll study and think some more.

What is a "reasonable" size for a page file? I want to use SONAR with GS3.

Thanx!
    Derrkins

Music is an exact, inexact, subjective, objective ArtScience.
    - Derrkins 2002
    -----------------------------------------
    Stepped up again ....
    New specs ....
    Core 2 Quad 2.4
    Intel Media Edition MoBo
    2x2gb RAM

Quote Originally Posted by GTBannah
    What is a "reasonable" size for a page file? I want to use SONAR with GS3.
    Take a look at http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm

It contains nice guidelines for optimizing the page file size.

Regards,
    Bogdan

Go Back to forum