• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Music Pricing for Game

Music Pricing for Game

I have been working with a company out of the UK for the last few months independantly on a game. The game has been scooped up by a publisher, and now that company is asking me to set a price of how much I am asking to be paid for , per minute of music. I was wondering if ANYONE could give me some insight as to how much I should offer. I am going to speak wth my lawer too, but I wanted to get an opinion here.

Im not even sure for how much to ask. I am thinking there will be about 60 minutes of music, maybe a little more. The composing is medium hard. I won't have to hire any musicians, and there is no immediate deadline.

If anyone can give me any insights that would be grand.

Sean R. Beeson

Re: Music Pricing for Game

I'll second that referral to Aaron's book. Of course it will depend, in part, on what the publisher is going to pay for the game overall and how much distribution it will get...but Aaron's book will cover that. Get your copy NOW!

I will have to go ahead and third that referal, Aaron's book was essential in allowing me negotiate effectively with a larger company. Contracts can be pretty intimidating things and Aaron's book really eased the pain.

I would also have to add that having a friend in the legal profession would be a great help. You want to make sure that you understand what your contract states (in regular human terms, not legalese) and to ensure that you're protected. Good luck and congrats!

I would also add that the current going rate that I am aware of and use is between $1000 and $1500 per minute. I would make sure and add the production costs to that rate as well. If it ends up as 60 minutes of music, you might want to use the lower figure, although, it's sometimes more difficult to write and keep 60 minutes worth of music fresh than it is to do 30. Keep that in mind.
    If you end up negotiating a lower rate, then try for a back end deal. Make sure and propose it as a per unit bonus. The word royalty can make a developer nervous.
    Also, if at all possible, license the music instead of selling it outright. If that's not an option, then make sure to cover any ancillary rights for products such as a sountrack etc. Lots of possibilities for negotiations. Do your best to remain firm. They obviously want you, so don't undersell yourself.
    Good Luck.

$1000-1500 sounds a bit high for a first time job. But hey, cant hurt trying

Let us know how it goes

Marcussen, how much did you take for your first time job?...(composing for a game)

Talking Re: Music Pricing for Game

My experience (as a new game composer myself) has been $250-$300 per finished minute of music. This (not coincidentally) is also exactly what Aaron's book states is the going rate for NEW game composers.

Now someone with experience like Tim Larkin (who is actually profiled in the book) can obviously charge a much better rate, making all us game music newbies jealous---ha!. Of course his recommendations (above) of going for the best rate you can get, covering production costs, and getting a back-end deal are certainly worth trying, as the man definitely knows what he's talking about!

Like almost everyone here, I also highly recommend Aaron's book.
    Todd Kinsley
    Sound Designer

The thing is, doesn't it depend on who you are writing the music for? I've only done work for amateur game developers so far, who can't even afford $200 for an entire soundtrack, much less $200 a minute. What then?

Sure it depends... but he states the game has been picked up by a publisher.

Audun: Roughly $400 per min

As this thread has made obvious, rates are all over the place. The largest indicator as to what you can get or what they're willing to pay is profiling the game in relation to the industry. In order to get into the $1,000-$1,500 range the game should be a triple-A title. Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure what the exact definition of "triple-a title" is, but I know that triple-a titles generally have lots of marketing behind them and are pushed hard into the market by the puiblisher (it's a fair bet that the developer doesn't even know this yet). Triple-a games will always have one, and usually all of the following: A very big publisher, a well-known IP, an experienced and proven developer (though often entire teams leave successful companies to start their own companies and they could probably get triple-a deals).

If none of these conditions apply to your situation then you're going to just have to negotiate the best deal you can. My philosophy in this situation is that $1,000-$1,500 is the standard range and your lack of experience just means that you're at the low end of that standard range, $1,000 a minute. My personal conclusion is that the risk of asking for that much is worth it. They can't blame you for asking for the low-end of the standard rate even if you've never done a game before and I really don't think that they'd be so offended by it that they would remove you as a candidate.

Of course, if you're going to ask for that much you should be able to deliver a score that is as good as the other composers who would be asking for that much.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

Go Back to forum