• Register
  • Help

Topic: big orchestras and 16 midi channels

Share/Bookmark

big orchestras and 16 midi channels

question question

say u are making a big symphonic work, with say 2 flutes, 2 clarinets, 2 oboes, 2 bassons, timpani, gong, bass drum, cymbals, 1 tuba, 3 trombones,
    2 trumpets, 4 horns, 1 violin section 1, 1 violin section 2, cello section,
    contrabass section, 1 solo cello, 1 solo violin, and some other strings to fill
    here and there in ensemble fassion etc, etc

ok, so u got these 4 or 5 kontakt vst instruments in nuendo or cubase,
    and u have 16 midi channels that u can use, so Im wondering, cause I will have to do something like this, there may be times when specially when building ensembles with the strings etc and tuttis, with all brass, wind and strings and percussion playing at the same time when one may need more than 16 channels, have u had this problem, how do u go about distributing your instruments in the different channels in big works like these

thanks a lot for any info

Jav

Re: big orchestras and 16 midi channels

obviously one can create infinite number of midi tracks, but we still have only 16 channels that can play simultaneously, and I see that sometimes in some areas one may need more than 16 specially as I say when one builds string ensembles and then they mix with brass, wind and percussion

Quote Originally Posted by javismiles
    question question

say u are making a big symphonic work, with say 2 flutes, 2 clarinets, 2 oboes, 2 bassons, timpani, gong, bass drum, cymbals, 1 tuba, 3 trombones,
    2 trumpets, 4 horns, 1 violin section 1, 1 violin section 2, cello section,
    contrabass section, 1 solo cello, 1 solo violin, and some other strings to fill
    here and there in ensemble fassion etc, etc

ok, so u got these 4 or 5 kontakt vst instruments in nuendo or cubase,
    and u have 16 midi channels that u can use, so Im wondering, cause I will have to do something like this, there may be times when specially when building ensembles with the strings etc and tuttis, with all brass, wind and strings and percussion playing at the same time when one may need more than 16 channels, have u had this problem, how do u go about distributing your instruments in the different channels in big works like these

thanks a lot for any info

Jav

Does anyone have a good reason as to why the heck MIDI is still the proprietary format for communicating with hardware and software after all these years and has not been superseeded by higher-resolution methods of data transfer, just out of interest?

yes, Ive also wondered about that in the past,
    the thing is, the 16 channels limite, what do you do when u find that u need more than 16 channels because you are already using a few channels to build your string sections and all the rest are then filled with winds and brass and u dont have enough space left for percussion, of course we are talking about Full Tuttis or partial Tuttis in here, those moments when all of them have to play at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by navidson
    Does anyone have a good reason as to why the heck MIDI is still the proprietary format for communicating with hardware and software after all these years and has not been superseeded by higher-resolution methods of data transfer, just out of interest?

You can open multipule instances of GPO. With each instance having eight MIDI channels you can have up to 64 channels. You just point each MIDI track to a specified instance and channel.
    I'm using the GPO DXi, so I don't know about the VSTi. It could be different. If the VSTi is different, you always have GPO studio. It will support eight instances of GPO totaling 64 MIDI channels. You just point each track to GPO studio 1, 2, 3, all the way to 8.

Hope this helps,
    -Chris

The answer is: You are not limited to 16 MIDI channels. In the case of GPO (and this general principle applies to all plugins that operate in a DX or VST environment) each instance is addressed by its own MIDI channels - in GPO, 1 thru 8. Each GPO instance acts as a separate "port" with 8 available MIDI channels. At your tracks you choose "GPO player 1, MIDI channels 1-8; GPO player 2, MIDI channels 1-8; GPO Player 3, MIDI Channels 1-8; etc." up to the limit of your computer's CPU and RAM. Same goes for using GPO Studio with its 8 instances. Using a plugin like the full version of Kontakt you would address 16 MIDI channels per instance.

As to why the industry hasn't moved to a faster MIDI standard in the last 20 years - probably two reasons: 1) Inertia - too much equipment and software in the field would be rendered obsolete and 2) there hasn't been enough pressure to force a change. It will probably happen eventually but I wouldn't venture a guess as to when.

Tom

Chris and I were writing at the same time. I should wait longer!

Tom

thank you very much for your help and replies, now its all clear ,
    thanks a lot
    Jav

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Chris and I were writing at the same time. I should wait longer!

Tom

Go Back to forum