• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is it better a fast ( 7200 RPM ) HD for the main drive with Win98se ??

Share/Bookmark

Is it better a fast ( 7200 RPM ) HD for the main drive with Win98se ??

I\'m rebuilding my system at the moment and was wondering what\'s the best cdombination of HD for my P III 550. Is it better to buy two 7200 RPM ATA-66 HD and dedicate one for the Win98se and application and theother for Gig files or a slower ( 5400 RPM ) HD for the system drive is fine.
    Some people also told me that I should dedicate a drive just for the Gig files anda sepsrate drive just for the win98se and I shouls NOT partition my drive that has Win98se to put Gig files on. Any comments/suggestions ??? THanks

Re: Is it better a fast ( 7200 RPM ) HD for the main drive with Win98se ??

Yup, your best bet is to have a separate, faster drive for your GS files. If you are going to run a sequencer/DAW program at the same time, you should have yet a third speedy drive for the audio tracks. Hopefully you would have either a four IDE channel motherboard or a separate controller card for the third drive as IDE using blocking calls to access the drives and the slave device on any IDE channel is going to get lower priority.

Does this mean that in a 2 drive system, the drive on the secondary IDE bus is slower therefore it\'s better to put the drive that has Gig files on the main IDE bus ??? THanks

Av,

I use two hd. on my setup. Both of them are ATA-66 7200 RPM. The one I use for gigasamples is a 27GB Seagate Barracuda.
    It\'s an awsome drive, never have problems with clicks and pops (plus it\'s extreamly scilent).

So yes, I recomend dual drives, because I hade bad rasultes with my old single hardrive. Witch by the way started playing my pieces after a few minutes of usages. And I had to wait a couple of seconds before it settled down.

Hope it helps, Mike

>>>>
    Does this mean that in a 2 drive system, the drive on the secondary IDE bus is slower therefore it\'s better to put the drive that has Gig files on the main IDE bus ??? THanks
    <<<<

An IDE device can have up to two channels per port. Each channel will have master and slave drive identifiers. If two simultaneous requests come in at once on a single channel, one for the master drive and one for the slave drive, the master drive request will always be serviced before the slave drive request. If you have one drive on each of the two channels, both set up as master, and you get simultaneous requests, the IDE controller will arbitrate, servicing the request on the faster drive first. If you have two speed mismatched drives and you put both on one channel and set up the slower drive as master and the faster drive as slave, the slower drive will always have its requests serviced first, ahead of the faster drive. If you swap them around and set the faster drive as master and the slower drive as slave, the faster drive will always be serviced first. BUT, this can still get you into trouble because if there are any important requests to the slave drive (say reading/writing the swap file, loading a Windows DLL, etc.), your system will slow down again as it waits for the request to be fulfilled on the slower drive while the faster drive is being serviced.

Bottom line, get as many IDE channels as you have drives, even if you have to buy an extra controller and set all the drives as master. Or go SCSI and get 7 or 15 devices per controller with all requests handled on a first come, first served basis.

to Killerbobjr,

If I understand you correctly than this would be the best set up :
    -Main IDE bus gets one drive as master
    -Secondary IDE bus gets second drive as master.
    -CD rom could be on either IDE bus as slave.

Is this the most effective set up ?? Thanks

You got it!

Dear Gigafriends,

I have to agree with those who say Giga has to run on dual drives. I have an ABIT BE6 board with Celeron @ 400 Hz, 192 MB RAM, IBM 7200 hard drive ULTRA ATA 66 13.5 GB (sequential write time: 0,0098 s, sequential read time: 0,056), Windows 98\' SE installed, SoundBlaster Live! as soundcard. When I bought it, I tought to myself: O.K.! This is the right hardware for running GigaSampler without any problem! I was wrong. I have installed on my drive some heavy gigs like Steinway Piano or Bosendorfer Piano. GigaSampler loads them but when I try to play from my MIDI keyboard, it pops and cuts notes and hard drive keeps on turning! The same is when using a sequencer like Cakewak or Cubase. Sometimes Gigasampler even stops or slacken playback! So I think this problem should be solved by running GigaSampler on other drives than the one Window \'98 is installed upon! Other question: I have 13.5 hard drive formatted with FAT32X (extended). Could this cause Giga bad working?I\'m really desperate! Does anyone experienced anything similar? Could someone tell me how to repair this, acting, for example, on Win \'98 configuration (someone told me to increase stack pages number) or GigaSampler configuration. Have I to partition disk or to add another separate hard drive?

Thank you for your help, mates

Andy

Hi Andy!

There should not be any problems running the mass storage controler device - FAT32X.

Do you the use MIDI + Audio features on your seq. causing the pops. As I se it there should not be any problems with the performance of the harddrives, because your are using one of the best brands of hard drive\'s on the market for giga.

I can tell you that I had a lot of pops and clicks when I used my soundblaster card together with a IBM 5200 RPM drive, playing the gigapiano, now with a mixtreme card and two 7200 RMP drives installed the system works flawlesly.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Mikael (edited 03-30-2000).]

Thanks Mikael,

probably the key is in using two hard drives! One 4 Windows swap file, another for Giga Swap File.

Andy.

Go Back to forum