• Register
  • Help

Topic: Setting up Sonar 4/GPO (Studio)

Share/Bookmark

Setting up Sonar 4/GPO (Studio)

I'm still a little mystified about setting up Sonar 4 with GPO. I'm a long time Sonar user, so I know my way pretty well around the program. I've installed GPO Studio, which has the standalone program as well. I'll say first that I can, in fact, play sounds in Sonar from the GPO instruments. I'm just looking for the best way to access them in from Sonar. I only have the versions of Kontact player that came with GPO and with Sibelius 3. I've upgraded whichever versions are available to upgrade. As far as I can tell, all software are latest versions.

In Sonar I have the choice of adding a DxI synth or a VST synth (Sonar recognizes GPO as both). Not sure which I should choose.

I've got all of the GPO stuff set up in Sonar as output ports, etc, and they all seem to be working okay.

After I get a soft synth installed (either as a VST or DxI), I choose the midi track's output. For the GPO stuff it gives me the following choices:

GPO 1: thru GPO:8 (GPO Studio)
    Personal Orchestra VST1 (VST2, 3, etc)
    NI Garritan Personal Orchestra 1 (2, 3, etc)

If I start GPO Studio *FIRST*, I am able to use whatever Players I have loaded into it (GPO 1 thru GPO 8). If I don't start it, it's not accessible from Sonar. So, I usually just ignore it and let Sonar launch GPO's VST/DxI when I open a file.

That leaves me with the VST's, or NI's GPO. I can use either one. Are there any major differences with memory, patch loading/saving, etc? Not really sure if I see any, although I'm beginning to get some performance dropouts when I load several instruments. Just starting to mess with buffering, but no luck yet.

I've got a PC with WinXP Pro (SP2), 2 gig of memory, large fast hard drives, etc. I tend to load only 2 of the VST synths at a time, and use 4 or 5 tracks on each one. So, I'll have all my strings on one synth and all my woodwinds on another.... that sort of thing. Haven't seen any good tutorials about getting the most out of the Sonar/GPO marriage, though I have finally had some luck with my Sibelius/GPO partnership (not perfect, but it sort of works now).

thanks.

john

Re: Setting up Sonar 4/GPO (Studio)

[QUOTE=jegenes

In Sonar I have the choice of adding a DxI synth or a VST synth (Sonar recognizes GPO as both). Not sure which I should choose.

I've got a PC with WinXP Pro (SP2), 2 gig of memory, large fast hard drives, etc. I tend to load only 2 of the VST synths at a time, and use 4 or 5 tracks on each one. So, I'll have all my strings on one synth and all my woodwinds on another.... that sort of thing. Haven't seen any good tutorials about getting the most out of the Sonar/GPO marriage, though I have finally had some luck with my Sibelius/GPO partnership (not perfect, but it sort of works now).

thanks.

john[/QUOTE]

My setup is XP (Home), XP2, 3 hard drives,Sonar 4 Studio, Sibelius 3.1.3, GPO. 1 gig ram, 1.8 clock.

The GPO VST is a better choice to use with Sonar because it requires much less of your cpu than Studio. Ditto for DXi, except that there is a tempo bug in the DXi. I use X-custom whenever I can. I do not change output levels, because they are realistically set for balance. For instance, you could, by altering volume, have a c flute drowning out a FF trumpet. If levels are in need of adjusting, use the trim option. But set your reverb before the trim. For reverb, I use the Cakewalk Fxreverb, but it is possible to use the Ambience feature of GPO, but it requires more cpu power. Using my most frequent instruments, the Steinway and the organ, I find a trim of +4.0 allows me to use the reverb of my choice. I also usually use only 2 instances of the VST at a time.

Best use of the GPO Studio is to reserve it for things which can not host a VST, such as Sibelius. But if you are using Sonar, I can not imagine why you would want to use GPO with Sibelius. I use Sibelius only for creating a good score. It is easy to import a midi file, and if you have decently quantized before import, it is fast. I imported a 4 minute organ piece into Sibelius this afternoon, and the only changes I had to make were some clef changes, and the job was done in about 10 minutes.

I would add that using VST with Sonar makes the creation of audio files a breeze. I mixed down the audio and exported it as a wav file, in about 2 minutes, and then another minute or less for the mp3. Sonar and GPO vst is a good combination.

Richard

The easiest way would be to use GPO as either a Dxi or VST plug-in, that way you don't have to open GPO Studio at all. My preference with Sonar is the VST version as there is a bug with the Dxi version involving playback of tied notes during tempo changes. There have also been several threads stating that when you are loading instruments into the player, make sure you load sequentially from the first slot and don't leave empty slots between loaded instruments - this has caused playback problems in some cases (You can leave empty ones to the right of your loaded instruments). Also, check that the channel you have chosen in your midi track matches the channel for the instrument in the GPO player. You might also reduce the polyphony of your instruments that aren't too note-heavy - this will cut down the RAM reserved for that sample and might prevent some drop-outs. Also, make sure you are using dry instruments - the "wet" ones are really only for auditioning purposes and use up a lot more system resources. Some of this stuff you might already know but maybe you'll find some info here that helps.

This may help. It doesn't describe though how to use 8 separate output channels of player.
    sfiks

Pentium 4 2.66Ghz
    1.5Gb RAM
    200 Gb Hard disc
    XP Pro SP2
    Sonar 4 Producer
    Finale 2005

I use the VST version in Sonar. When I set up more than 2 instances I seem to be limited to 16 channels and not the 8 per player that I think I should have. For instance say player 1 channel 1 is a flute then on player 2 I have to set the first slot to channel 9 or it plays the flute. If I add a third instance I have run out of channels.

The maximum number of instruments I can run seems to be around 9 or 10 anyway so perhaps I don't need to run any more instances of the player.

I have optimised my PC to maximise the memory available but still get dropout around 10 instruments.

I really would appreciate some help on this too.

Sony VAIO laptop
    2.66 gig P4
    1 gig ram (maxed; if I could use more I would have 2 gig)
    external firewire 250 gig HD

I'm presently using Sonar 4 PE. I have a good friend who is a power user on Sonar and he told me to open 1 audio track and then insert GPO (I usually use the VSTi version) in the fx bin on the right hand side (right click and then go down the popup menu until you get to VST and then select GPO). Then set up a midi track for each GPO instrument and alllocate the midi controller channels you want to use and select GPO VST on the drop down menu for audio playback. Setting it up this way saves resources and allows you to use a separate track for each GPO instrument but only one audio channel to hear everything but you have to enable echo by clicking on the symbol in the midi track to hear all the instruments at the same time. Once you use up all 8 Kontact Player slots, then simply add another audio channel and up to 8 more midi tracks, etc. until your computer falls to it's knees from over work.

When you are finished with your music and you want a stereo audio track, simply bounce to track to get the song rendered and then go to the file menu and click on the export function on the drop down menu; from there you need to have a folder somewhere on a hard drive to export it to and then it's a done deal. After that, if you want to "Master" it, just open your audio editor of choice (Sound Forge, Wavelab, Audition, etc.) and play with your song until you are satisfied and then either burn it to CD or convert it to mp3 for posting on the web or to put on your personal iTunes player.

Tom

Thumbs up Re: Setting up Sonar 4/GPO (Studio)

Thank you Tom!!!

I just set my most complicated and busy file as you suggested. What a difference! CPU usage doesn't go much above 50% instead of the 80-90% previously.

Gonna be a busy night!

Glad you found that useful.

Tom

Thanks, all. It helped a lot. sfiks: thanks for the link. I've copied it and will refer to it. Tom: thanks a lot for that Sonar tip. Made a world of difference in performance. In fact, I don't know why I didn't think of just using an audio track with fx plugged into it. Brilliant! Should be a standard issue tip for every Sonar user.

Now, if I can just get Sibelius to work consistently with GPO, but that's another thread. Thanks again. I really appreciate the help.

best,

john

Go Back to forum