• Register
  • Help

Topic: Disable Ambience in Studio

Share/Bookmark

Disable Ambience in Studio

Is it possible? I saw some discussions about this, but I can't find a disable button per say. Only bypass, which seems to have no positive effect on lowering CPU consumption which seems to be really abnormally high with nothing playing.... A friend of mine just bought GPO and is digging it..but he has low cpu PC to use for now and trying to maximize things. Is there a way to disable Ambience in GPO Studio afterall?

-steve
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Re: Disable Ambience in Studio

Just a guess, considering my flaky memory -- but, isn't it optional to install Ambience to begin with?

I believe it can also be uninstalled from Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.

If it isn't there, then it wouldn't be using uP resources.

It would be nice to be able to disable it, too, of course!

etLux
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

well, that was my recollection too, but I tried to uninstall Ambience and then GPO studio won't start up at all...
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Quote Originally Posted by dewdman42
    well, that was my recollection too, but I tried to uninstall Ambience and then GPO studio won't start up at all...
    I haven't looked at the registry install protocol, but, yes, that could be.

You would likely need to pull out the GPO and Ambience, both; then reinstall with just the GPO.

I'm reasonably certain that will work... having done it by mistake when I first got GPO'd.

etLux
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Did anyone ever figure out how to install GPO Studio without Ambience? When I try to install GPO Studio 1.2 there is no question about whether I want Ambience or not. And I don't want it. something in GPo studio is consuming 20% cpu with no sound happening.. That is really excessive. Sonar can mix down 40 tracks of audio on my computer and only use 25% CPU. I'm guessing this is due to Ambience, which I don't want anyway. I already tried hitting the bypass button on Ambience, but no change to CPU usage.

Did anyone figure this out?

-steve

I don't think it's Ambience that's causing that high CPU idle.

I can have 8 GPOs loaded into Bidule with Ambience and it idles at less than 1% CPU.

I think it is something else in GPO Studio that causes it. My GPO Studio idles at 1011%

Both of those scenarios have no samples loaded.

Interesting. Well pretty much I've decided I just have to avoid using Studio. I can sit there and watch the CPU in task manager. Studio says its idleing at 11%, but task manager jumps back and forth between 8% and 24% without nothing else going on but idle Studio. Exit Studio and task manager drops to 0% cpu. Basically, studio is definitely doing something hoggish. Too bad. Oh well, I can just use Sonar to host for me. That's where I'll end up recording everything anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dewdman42
    Interesting. Well pretty much I've decided I just have to avoid using Studio. I can sit there and watch the CPU in task manager. Studio says its idleing at 11%, but task manager jumps back and forth between 8% and 24% without nothing else going on but idle Studio. Exit Studio and task manager drops to 0% cpu. Basically, studio is definitely doing something hoggish. Too bad. Oh well, I can just use Sonar to host for me. That's where I'll end up recording everything anyway.
    Since we wanted to make things simple for the user,
    GPO Studio sums all the 8 stereo outputs of ALL the GPO player instances into a bus which then feeds Ambiance at all times (bypassed or not), this doing a moderate to high (depending on your PC) cpu time spent on mixing.

There is no way for GPO studio to "know" which player outputs are going to be used (unless we start dynamically analysing output samples, which was out of the scope of this product), so we've decided to mix them all.

So the comparison with bidule needs to be made with this scenario. Then if the CPU usage differs, then we need to investigate.
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Ah, I see. I'll play with that later.

I love knowing how things work.

Quote Originally Posted by DZComposer
    I can have 8 GPOs loaded into Bidule with Ambience and it idles at less than 1% CPU.
    Also in bidule, we will not process the plugins at all if they are not conneted to something.
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Go Back to forum