• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best way for Mono -> Stereo ?

Share/Bookmark

Best way for Mono -> Stereo ?

What's the best way of converting a mono sampleset into Stereo without using the same samples panned left and right, out-tuning them or delaying ?

I downloaded the Westgate orchestral percussions and they are beautifuly recorded and performed , very good sound ! But in mono
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Re: Best way for Mono -> Stereo ?

The best way is to use reverb. Most relatively close miked stereo instruments work best in orchestral setting when they are panned to narrow stereo or nearly mono. A real instrument in a concert hall is practically a "mono" source which is spread to "stereo" by the hall acoustics. Stereo samples are nice for in-your-face effects but in orchestral music they don't have much advantage over mono samples. Mono can be even better as there is no phase cancellation (when panned narrow or summed to mono) or other problems related to the use of multiple microphones.

Re: Best way for Mono -> Stereo ?

Hmm, i guess you are right. I always thought stereo samples to be better because of the feeling that you have more space in a mix. So reverb will do the trick ? Cool

Thanks Janilla!
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Go Back to forum