• Register
  • Help

Topic: Private Composition Instruction (slightly OT)

Share/Bookmark

Private Composition Instruction (slightly OT)

Yesterday I met with a composer, Romeo Melloni, who, among other things, instructs at a local community music school. The school is aimed mostly at kids but has some adult programs. Anyway, we talked, he looked over some of my scores, which he analyzed (pointing out good and bad parts), and he said if I was interested he could take me on as a student. I’m interested.

I think I’ve posted before that there is no way I could ever go back to school full time so this is the next best thing. The school does have some resources, though not like a major music school. So as part of my lessons we will talk to different instrumentalists, have them play my music, etc.

I’m pretty excited about the prospect and look forward to my time working with Romeo.

(Yesterday was a good day overall – I met with my future composition instructor, I saw the accountant and I don’t owe Uncle Sam anything for the first time in years, I got a star on the GPO forum… )
    Trent P. McDonald

Thumbs up Re: Private Composition Instruction (slightly OT)

Awesome Trent. I wish that I could find similar instruction somewhere around here. We do have a liberal arts college here but I've never heard of personal tutoring or lessons for composition. Hope it works out for you. Good luck.

Eric

Re: Private Composition Instruction (slightly OT)

Nothing beats private composition instruction. As a matter of fact all of the established composers today have at least three teachers listed on their resumes.

I say go for it, and this guy should be able to point you to further people to study with when you have sucked him dry of knowledge. Keep in mind that most any composer will give at least a couple lessons for the right price.

Now, I still intend to do the work up of your etude!
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Congratulations, that sounds awesome!

I showed some of my pieces to a professor/composer here on campus and all he said was "I enjoyed it" He's retiring next year, so I guess he's too tired to get into compositional discussions . . .

Anyway, good luck, and I hope you learn a lot! Sounds like a really good opportunity!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I started looking around a while ago and was surprised by how many little community music schools there are around. Within 15 miles of where I work there are 3 or 4 little schools, from a staff of about 10 to the one I’m going to with a staff of nearly 50. I did a Google search to find them. (Of course 30 miles from work you hit Cambridge and 40 miles from work Boston – a whole world of possibilities there but, unfortunately, I live 45 minutes the other direction from Boston.) Anyway, you might be surprised at what you find in your area.

I was almost surprised that he recommended finding a couple of instructors to work with simultaneously. He also highly encouraged my participation on this forum.

Unfortunately I am not going to be starting piano right away. I’ll just work on that on my own for a while longer.

Thanks all for the support.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd

Unfortunately I am not going to be starting piano right away. I’ll just work on that on my own for a while longer.

I have one very important piece of advise for this:

FINGERINGS. Don't change them one iota. It will make your life in piano lessons much easier.

BTW... Speaking of your piano playing and composition. The B section of you piece is kind of hard compared to the A. But I will get into that later.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic

BTW... Speaking of your piano playing and composition. The B section of you piece is kind of hard compared to the A. But I will get into that later.
    I guess I'll just have to make the A part harder - particularly the bass line.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    I guess I'll just have to make the A part harder - particularly the bass line.
    Uh... please don't. I enjoy the simplisity of it now.
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

Trent,

I have studied privately under several instructors, one from a school very similar to this one. It has worked out very well for me, a good deal less expensive then university study and less of a time commitment as well. the teachers I had were every bit as good as any university teachers I ever had. Usually any music school of any size will have a teacher or two that excelled at composition in college, and ended up as a teacher. You can learn a TON from any of them.

-steve
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Go Back to forum