• Register
  • Help

Topic: up for the downstroke (slightly elliptical robin)

Share/Bookmark

up for the downstroke (slightly elliptical robin)

anyone noticed that an up-bow/down/bow round-robin setup will play the wrong way around when the last not triggered was the one you want playback to start on? eg. load the VGS cellos and sequence a series of repeated notes on the alternating patch. If you rewind after an odd number of notes has played back, your next playback begins on the upstroke. What to do? This doesn't bother me for snare drum l/r, or faux-randomization of alternate samples, but it's a must fix for strings.

Belbin

ps. Giga=amazing. Cant sleep....

Re: up for the downstroke (slightly elliptical robin)

I'm a newbie to giga, and I don't know much about the included VSL bundle, but with GPO there is an up/down bow keyswitch. Maybe you can manually control the bowstroke.
    Since I'm a strings player I must digress:
    Not all music goes upbow downbow upbow downbow. In fact, almost no music is that simple! (unless it's beginner stuff or something) So when you score for strings, picture the bow and how it moves and breathes with the music. PLEASE don't do up-down-up-down-up-down. It's very boring.

My $201,547,561,247.02 worth.

-Chris

More keyswitches!!! Aarrggh!! Got too many of those flyin' around already.
    I guess all that means is that one more can't hurt. They're better than program changes, but not so fun when you don't have a midi keyboard. My kingdom for a nice modwheel.

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    More keyswitches!!! Aarrggh!! Got too many of those flyin' around already.
    I'm making an attempt to develop a library someday and I've been gathering ideas for it. One problem I see with many libraries is the problem you mentioned above. Too many keyswitches can be extrmely confusing and annoying in live playing. Using other controls, IMHO, would be better. For example, say you have a string section with the keyswitches: Sustain, sustain mute, sustain trills half, sustain trill half mute, sustain trill whole, sustain trill whole mute, stacatto, stacatto mute, marcatto, marcatto mute, detache, detache mute, and pizz.
    This can easially be reduced to four keyswitches: Sustain, trills, short bows, and pizz.
    The soft pedal could trigger muted samples, CC 20 could control the step of the trill, and CC 21 could control what type of short bow is used.

Now wouldn't that be nice?

-Chris

Thumbs up Re: up for the downstroke (slightly elliptical robin)

How 'bout inventing me a usb midi/brain interface? That would solve everything.

Seriously, though: That's a sweet sounding library. Makes me wonder if anyone here would be interested in online colloborations (via MSN or something) on sample libraries. You play cello (right?), but I don't, he plays this, she plays that. Just for fun, and to practice developer chops. There might end up a nice little pool of free sounds for forum members. If anyone wants to hear my hihats....drop a line.

Belbin

ACK! Hope that didn't break any forum rules. I don't think anything in there was really commercial.....Don't worry, Larry...my hihats got nothin' on yours.

Apologies where applicable,

Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    Seriously, though: That's a sweet sounding library. Makes me wonder if anyone here would be interested in online colloborations (via MSN or something) on sample libraries. You play cello (right?), but I don't, he plays this, she plays that. Just for fun, and to practice developer chops.
    Thank you. I'm trying to make it as sweet of a library as possible. That's what we all want, right?
    If anybody wants to 'collaborate' with me, or just tell me what to do ( ) just email or PM me. Since I only really know what you can do with a limited # of instruments, I can always use help.

And yes, I play cello.

-Chris

Then there's the Kirk Hunter method. Use one sample when you play and the other when you release. There are limitations, but it works. And it works in doubletime, which is nice for fast parts.

-JF

Go Back to forum