• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Thank you to Cheryl Ardill

Share/Bookmark

Thank you to Cheryl Ardill

A week ago, I posted a request for help in verifying which countries outside the U.S. aired Maximum Exposure. ASCAP, incompetent as usual, had taken almost two years of "research" to tell me virtually no other countries aired it, which I knew was wrong.

Several people here helped me out with information which I appreciate greatly! Thank you!

I need to single out Cheryl because after some e-mailing between us, she did some searching, made some phone calls, and even got me four years worth of MaxEx air schedules from an Australian cable station!

Now all I need to do is find a way to do a favor for Scott Cairns and we'll all be even!

- Mike Greene

Re: Thank you to Cheryl Ardill

That's good news Mike , i'm glad all is went ok
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Hey, I didnt do anything! Cheryl told me this morning though that she had made some calls and done some checking for you Mike.

She's a good egg.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

I think when anybody does something good here Scott gets the blame.

I was just remembering a post Cheryl made a week or so ago thanking Scott for some help he gave. So my little joke was about completing the triangle.

- Mike Greene

hey Mike,

is it true that you have to tell ASCAP to look for foreign performances for you? i seem to recall hearing this somewhere. (i see you've had to hound them rather relentlessly.)

My last statement showed that some cues i put out to license ended up in "Date Patrol" (i guess that makes me a reality TV ho now- woohoo! or should that be woo-ho!?!).

Have any of our esteemed non-US members seen this show in your territory by any chance?

thanks!

john
    John DeBorde

Composer of Music for Film, TV and Interactive Media

Quote Originally Posted by John DeBorde
    is it true that you have to tell ASCAP to look for foreign performances for you? i seem to recall hearing this somewhere. (i see you've had to hound them rather relentlessly.)
    Hi John!

Normally, it's supposed to be automatic and you don't have to tell them. But ASCAP (or production companies filing cue sheets) screws up on me on about half the shows I do. So if foreign societies are about the same, there's a lot of opportunity for lost royalties.

Foreign performance royalties are usually very small, so I don't normally bother. But MaxEx is 52 episodes of wall to wall music, so in this case, it's worth the trouble to me! I'm still not expecting huge bucks, but I'll take what I can get on this one.

- Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Greene
    Hi John!

Normally, it's supposed to be automatic and you don't have to tell them. But ASCAP (or production companies filing cue sheets) screws up on me on about half the shows I do. So if foreign societies are about the same, there's a lot of opportunity for lost royalties.

Foreign performance royalties are usually very small, so I don't normally bother. But MaxEx is 52 episodes of wall to wall music, so in this case, it's worth the trouble to me! I'm still not expecting huge bucks, but I'll take what I can get on this one.

- Mike
    cool. thanks man!

good luck!

/john
    John DeBorde

Anyone who expects ASCAP to actually research something outside the US is dreaming. In practice, all ASCAP does for international performances of its writer's work is collect royalties that are sent to them from foreign societies. Whether you get paid for these performances or not is dependent on the assigned sub-publishers in those countries, or in this case, helpful local individuals. I've been beating people over the head at ASCAP for over a decade now over all kinds of issues, and have come to the conclusion that for foreign stuff, dealing with them is a waste of time and energy. I just go directly to the source.
    a $120k business degree will get you a job on Wall Street - a $120k Berklee degree will get you a job on Beale Street...

Quote Originally Posted by bruceup
    Anyone who expects ASCAP to actually research something outside the US is dreaming. In practice, all ASCAP does for international performances of its writer's work is collect royalties that are sent to them from foreign societies. Whether you get paid for these performances or not is dependent on the assigned sub-publishers in those countries, or in this case, helpful local individuals. I've been beating people over the head at ASCAP for over a decade now over all kinds of issues, and have come to the conclusion that for foreign stuff, dealing with them is a waste of time and energy. I just go directly to the source.
    could you elaborate please? are you a member of any foreign societies?

thanks,

john
    John DeBorde

Go Back to forum