• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hello Everybody

Share/Bookmark

Hello Everybody

Hi everybody. I'm new. I've just bought GPO - what an awesome package it is. I am getting to grips with it just now and would be grateful if anyone could point me to some midi files so that I can get an idea how certain sounds are created particularly using the strings. I don't seem to get the right sound. I am using Cubasis as supplied with GPO.

Anyway, it's great to be part of this.
    Regards.
    Mike.

Re: Hello Everybody

Hi Mike, welcome aboard!

I can't point you to any specific midi files perse, but you should be able to find alot of information in the tutorials that are available on Garritan.com

If you are having difficulty making the strings sound natural in the transition of notes, I would recommend using the sus+short strings, because this will give you a short sample if the note length is short, and a long legato type sample if the note is not short, it will do this automatically. Also in the piano roll of your sequencer, after you have played the notes, highlight all of them and then drag the end of the notes to lengthen them so that they overlap ever so slightly. This will make a huge difference in the "connected" sound. You also must do the mod wheel data, try placing the mod wheel data in after you play the notes. This is copied from a post I just made on another topic, it might help you out.

Congratulations on your purchase of GPO,... it's awesome!

I always start a new midi track by placing a steady line of mod wheel data in the track from beginning to end, then I play in the notes on the keyboard. After I have all the notes correctly placed, and the length and phrasing of each and every note perfected, I then go back and erase the mod wheel data, and record new mod wheel data with the "overdub" feature turned on. This overdub feature should be available in every sequencer. It allows all the existing data like notes to remain, but new additional data can be added, such as mod wheel, pedal, and pitch for slides etc. Playing in the new mod wheel data afterwards allows you total freedom to make the instrument sound exactly the way you want. If you mess up a part, go back to a break between notes, erase the mod wheel data from that point on, and replay the mod wheel data till you get it right. That's what I do anyway.

Of course, there are many different ways to accomplish a finished product. Wasting time trying to play the notes, mod wheel data and the sustain pedal all exactly at the right time is pointless, but that's just how I like to do it. Try it, I think you might like it.

dpDan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Hi Mike, welcome aboard!

I can't point you to any specific midi files perse, but you should be able to find alot of information in the tutorials that are available on Garritan.com

If you are having difficulty making the strings sound natural in the transition of notes, I would recommend using the sus+short strings, because this will give you a short sample if the note length is short, and a long legato type sample if the note is not short, it will do this automatically. Also in the piano roll of your sequencer, after you have played the notes, highlight all of them and then drag the end of the notes to lengthen them so that they overlap ever so slightly. This will make a huge difference in the "connected" sound. You also must do the mod wheel data, try placing the mod wheel data in after you play the notes. This is copied from a post I just made on another topic, it might help you out.

Congratulations on your purchase of GPO,... it's awesome!

I always start a new midi track by placing a steady line of mod wheel data in the track from beginning to end, then I play in the notes on the keyboard. After I have all the notes correctly placed, and the length and phrasing of each and every note perfected, I then go back and erase the mod wheel data, and record new mod wheel data with the "overdub" feature turned on. This overdub feature should be available in every sequencer. It allows all the existing data like notes to remain, but new additional data can be added, such as mod wheel, pedal, and pitch for slides etc. Playing in the new mod wheel data afterwards allows you total freedom to make the instrument sound exactly the way you want. If you mess up a part, go back to a break between notes, erase the mod wheel data from that point on, and replay the mod wheel data till you get it right. That's what I do anyway.

Of course, there are many different ways to accomplish a finished product. Wasting time trying to play the notes, mod wheel data and the sustain pedal all exactly at the right time is pointless, but that's just how I like to do it. Try it, I think you might like it.

dpDan
    That's great - I'll give it a try.
    Regards.
    Mike.

glad to help you Mike!
    dpDan

Welcome aboard, Mike!

Tips from another newcomer:

Make sure you get in there and tinker with all the sounds so you're familiar with them, and with how they behave, before you get too ambitiously involved in a project.

Also be sure you're working with the latest updates (www.Garritan.com).

And, above all, read read read read read. There's a wealth of knowledge floating around the forum and in the various tutorials -- and I also recommend keeping a printout of the documentation near at hand.

The GPO's enormously flexible and powerful -- but I doubt I'd ever describe it as simple... lol.

etLux
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Cheers etLux - will certainly keep those points in mind. Agree there is so much to it.
    Regards.

Go Back to forum