• Register
  • Help

Topic: 64 Voices, ReWire, Midi, break with reality...

Share/Bookmark

64 Voices, ReWire, Midi, break with reality...

OK all you Giga wizards, talk to me like I'm a 2 year-old ('cause I am in Giga-years). What do the 64 voices in GS represent, and why do I come pretty darn close to maxing all 64 out just when I have a Larry Seyer kit (GSI) loaded and do a killer roll (something to do with GigaPulse?)? And why are there only 64 voices? And if so, how can I get more? Do I need more? Am I rambling? Sorry...anyway, once I get into building a song, with drums, strings, bass, etc, I'm pretty sure I'll keep the meter pegged at 64 (and will I start clipping like an untalented but determined football player?) Then there's ReWire--Does this thing have anything to do with the voices? (not the one's in my head) Should I put each instrument on a different Rewire channel (if I have the choice). In essence, do Rewire outputs correspond to MIDI channels in my host sequencer, or are these two related? My CPU and memory meter are never in question (yet). And yes, I did receive a manual with GS, but after a cursory overview, I could not find the answers to these (and other) questions. BTW, my computer is running P4 2.8, 512mb ram (yes, I know I need more) and Cubase VST 32/5 is my host sequencer.
    Seriously though, any help is greatly appreciated.

Richie

Re: 64 Voices, ReWire, Midi, break with reality...

What version are you running? Whichever version, your manual will require more than a cursory overview. I don't know the voice limits of the other versions, but that limit may be a brick wall. If running a new version...

Voices: Go to File/System Settings. Theres a synthesizer tab where you can tweak your maximum polyphony. That's all I know about that.
    It's easy to pile up voices with libraries that are sampled in stereo....don't forget that it makes every note into 2 voices. I believe you can force your samples to mono in GS Edit....tried it, did it wrong or something, never tried again...sounds like a good idea though....makes panning more old fashioned. I sequenced a drum roll (like, by writing 356th notes) and got up to about a hundred voices using mono samples. Larry may have a release time set so his drums ring for the full duration of the sample, rather than cutting off un-naturally in the middle of the sample when you release the key. Then they end up overlapping Now I'm rambling. Stop now. Reply if you need more detail.

Rewire: When using it You can only use port 1 (16 channels). The other differences are that (pro) it pipes the GS audio output back into your sequencer, on a single track or many, for further processing and faster-than-realtime rendering. AND (con) Rewire disables GSIF, so you can't pipe audio into GS. Can't do it all.
    This is the extent of my understanding so far.

Good luck!

OH. And yes. Rewire channels do correspond to midi channels in your sequencer. Whether or not you're in rewire mode, you must set your organ track to the channel you loaded the organ into in GS.

Belbin

Thanks so much for the info---I am running v3.01--I have seen some discussion about 3.04; have you upgraded to this, and is it worth it, in your opinion?--seen some posts with cons, some with pros. And of course, you are correct, I need to delve into the manual in greater detail.

I didn't even use anything under 3.04. downloaded and installed the update as soon as I could. Works okay. The odd blue screen, but that's usually 'cuz i'm doing something stupid, I think I'll be tip to pwhen I get a real computer to run it on. There's at least one thread here somewhere about the pros and cons of 3.04 vs. previous updates. Shouldn't be hard to find.

cheers,
    Belbin

Go Back to forum