• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Piano Sonata #7, Fifth Movement

Share/Bookmark

Piano Sonata #7

Update: 10-24-2008

My friend Phillip has brought this to the fore once again, and there
    have been many updates of this sonata since this early post.

All five movements are now available on www.DavidSosnowski.com

All movements are now rendered with the fabulous Garritan Authorized
    Steinway, of course!

All the best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

At my newcomer's stage of technical inexpertise, I must be out of my mind to attempt a piano piece with the GPO -- the piano being undoubtedly among the intrinsically most difficult instruments to record and reproduce well. Even in my prime, this piece was, in places, an absolute nightmare to play properly; and I am likewise challenged in interpeting it well in an electronic medium...

Let me know if I got this anywhere close to right, my friends!

(UPDATED 4/12/05, fourth movement added)

May I note that, with a composition of this kind in a sometimes brash modern idiom, I am a bit concerned that some of the sense of it will escape without the preparation of the prior movements; however, I expect the fine ears hear will manage.

Re: Piano Sonata #7, Fifth Movement

David,

Now you're just teasing me! I want to hear the other 4 movements. Good stuff. This is apparently my night for demos. I don't usually come here at the end of the day and find several pieces that are right up my alley but tonight's a gold mine. Thanks for posting this. I like the mix too. Did you perform this in real-time at a controller keyboard?

Tom

Thumbs up Re: Piano Sonata #7, Fifth Movement

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    At my newcomer's stage of technical inexpertise, I must be out of my mind to attempt a piano piece with the GPO -- the piano being undoubtedly among the intrinsically most difficult instruments to record and reproduce well. Even in my prime, this piece was, in places, an absolute nightmare to play properly; and I am likewise challenged in interpeting it well in an electronic medium...

Let me know if I got this anywhere close to right, my friends!

Piano Sonata #7, Fifth Movement

May I note that, with a composition of this kind in a sometimes brash modern idiom, I am a bit concerned that some of the sense of it will escape without the preparation of the prior four movements; however, I expect the fine ears hear will manage.

All my best,

etLux
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    I find it excellent from both rendition and compositional point of view.

If it's the GPO piano, you are using it really well. It is a good ensamble piano, but to keep the solo intersting with the light sampling, you must equilibrate the velocity and mix, as you did.

Probably the most evident limit is the dynamic compression (not so wide the piano to forte range). But your demo seems well suited to find out the best from this piano.

Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    David,

Now you're just teasing me! I want to hear the other 4 movements. Good stuff. This is apparently my night for demos. I don't usually come here at the end of the day and find several pieces that are right up my alley but tonight's a gold mine. Thanks for posting this. I like the mix too. Did you perform this in real-time at a controller keyboard?

Tom
    Lol... I hope to get around to the other four movements soon (all are scored in). Thanks for the good word on the mix -- maybe I'm starting to get the hang of the sound treatment side.

Parts of the performance were via a borrowed Roland keyboard controller -- but I have something of a hammerhead playing style, and whacked two of the flat keys clean off before I finished; hence, some parts are scored in... accounting for the wooden playing in parts of it. I also made the dreadful mistake of quantizing some of it... yech.

etLux
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    I find it excellent from both rendition and compositional point of view.

If it's the GPO piano, you are using it really well. It is a good ensamble piano, but to keep the solo intersting with the light sampling, you must equilibrate the velocity and mix, as you did.

Probably the most evident limit is the dynamic compression (not so wide the piano to forte range). But your demo seems well suited to find out the best from this piano.

Nice work.
    Thank you for such kind words, Fabio!

In large degree, this was an experiment to see how far I could push Gary's GPO piano -- which I believe, as you said, is intended more as an ensemble piano than a solo instrument.

Even though this is a brutally demanding piece, technically and harmonically (moreso in the earlier movements), the GPO piano held up more than reasonably well with only modest post-treatment, nonetheless.

Though to me, under my fingers, the GPO piano feels, plays and sounds more like an "early" pianoforte from the 1800's in many regards, under the command of more veteran GPO users, it undoubtedly presents a highly useable resource.

etLux
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    -- but I have something of a hammerhead playing style, and whacked two of the flat keys clean off before I finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    You too, eh? Don't go be grinnin' too much, or I'll let you share the repair bill with me... lol.

etLux
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Really nice piece david,you did a nice job of coaxing a good sound of the Piano too,especially the bass end which can sound brittle at times.I really liked the rather russian sounding Waltz at bar 136,a nice startling change amidst the hurly-burly.
    Fine Work
    regards

Smile Re: Piano Sonata #7, Fifth Movement

From both a compositional and a sequencing point if view, I thoroughly enjoyed the listen. Looking forward to hearing the rest of the piece.

Thank you for sharing!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Thank you joaz an efiebke for the kind words.

In terms of sound, I was most concerned about some of the hard-hit upper polychords and clusters, which to my ear sound very harsh... but then, I've been banging on Bosendorfer's and Steiny D's much of my life -- which, even when brightly voiced, tend to be forgiving of such shenanigans of harmony.

The low ranges, if a bit thin, perform well, though -- and Gary astutely side-stepped the "muddy" sound that plagues so many piano samples I've heard. In a piano designed more for ensemble use, this was by far the wiser course: the sacrifice of some fullness for the ability to cut through the orchestra where needed.

The performance, again, I apologize for. This can be a devilishly difficult sonata in places, surely better met by younger fingers and greater talent.

etLux
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast