• Register
  • Help

Topic: Doepfer 88 key contorllers

Share/Bookmark

Question Doepfer 88 key contorllers

Anyone have first hand experience with either the PK88 or LK2+?
    The action, in particular.
    Searching the archives, someone says they are merely Fatars, but I've read elsewhere that they feel better than Fatars.

Re: Doepfer 88 key contorllers

According to what I see, it's the same keyboard in Doepfer PK88 and LMK2+ that in Kurzweil PC88. A Fatar TP30e (or something like this) and it's a very good one.
    Fatar makes many keyboards' model (from cheapest to highest). So some Fatar are good, and some others are bad.

Thanks for your reply.
    Wish I could actually PLAY one to decide for myself - but they're not really in stores, at least not around here. Even if they use the same keybeds, et al, I bet there are some differences in implimentation that help or hinder the expressiveness of the controller, or the translation between your fingers and the midi transmission....

Well, if it's "just a Fatar"... Fatar has a new board out, the VMK 188 reviewed in the latest Sound on Sound. Review said the usability on the programming side is crap, but the feel of the keyboard itself is real good. Music123.com has them for $900, I'd like to go try one out at the local GC if they have 'em.

BTW, is it just me, or does anybody else think a 64-key fully weighted controller would sell like hot cakes? I know I want one...

I'll go read that Fatar review today....I am much more interested in the piano feel than the programming capabilities. I would like a couple of basic
    capabilities - zones, program changes, maybe a few presets - but nothing heavy. I won't use it much in the studio - I have a piano - it's for live use.
    I LOVE the built in to a flightcase thing that Doepfer does. For local gigs, just toss it in the van and go, for touring, probably get a bigger better case to protect it.

Quote Originally Posted by kbaccki
    BTW, is it just me, or does anybody else think a 64-key fully weighted controller would sell like hot cakes? I know I want one...
    I'd go for a 73-ish sized one - like a Rhodes layout..
    I'm also toying with finding a Rhodes Mark I in great shape and having it midi'd....Use it as a Rhodes and as a controller for piano sounds. Don't mind lugging it around too much and I just FEEL cooler (in the Fonzarellian sense) sitting behind one than a controller.

Well I just read a review at Keyboard online;

http://www.keyboardmag.com/story.asp...storycode=7780

Unfortunately it seems that these do no have poly after touch either. I had my hopes high.

Sincerely,

Jonathan

Here's a link to a user review by a guy who also owns and plays a Charles Walter 190 grand.

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bi...pic/6/988.html

DavidH

Nice link.....
    Some good info. An A minus review or so.

Go Back to forum