• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast

Topic: Is classical music not popular because of presentation ?

Share/Bookmark

Is classical music not popular because of presentation ?

I just listened to a "Live" version of Shostakovich's Russian Waltz. Live meaning there was a huge crowd all claping and singing together with the main melody ! It's an amazing recording ! The whole feeling is so big and beautiful and it seems that each person singing ( The crowd-choir sounded huge btw ) poured a bit of their soul into it .

So i am thinking now why most people - Especially young people of the new generation- think that classical music is "Gay" music, or music to "sleep with" etc and prefer listening to anything else except it. Maybe because they imagine 200 old people sitting in a theatre silently and clapping at the end of each piece instead of fully living the experience as with all other kinds of popular music ( Pop, Rock , Tv music etc ) . Is classical and orchestral music hard to approach for the masses because of the way it is presented ? Everyone loves Fúr Elise for example, but would never go to a concert to hear Beethoven

What do you think ?
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Re: Is classical music not popular because of presentation ?

Image is everything when marketting - especially to youth.

Those who exhibit classical performances choose to market the way they do and continue to alienate the youth. I was the same way when I was in high school. No way was Beethoven as talented as Trent Reznor, right???

But then I really got a taste of Mozart (still my personal fav) and Holst and that was that. I was hooked.

After the time that passed since my first serious intro to classical (about 4 years ago), I now actually prefer the medium of concept album, or rock opera. Mixing the two styles of music I appretiate the most, industial rock and serious classical, is my currant favorite.

Its a shame that many younger people don't appretiate the music, but I think it is just a lack of exposure/education of the art form that causes the lack of interest.

But hey, once 50 Cent or 'Lil John "sample" motives from Beethoven, then everyone who owns a do-rag will know it (including my younger wannabe brother).
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

I think a big part of the problem is that people (i.e., non-classical music fans) perceive "Classical" music as a stagnant art form, consisting entirely of music written over 100 years ago by a bunch of dead, white, European males. The Classical music community (of which I am part) aren't helping matters much since they continue to allow this perception to dominate their programming.

Imagine this: Get together an audience consisting of several hard-core Classical music lovers and several people who have never been to a classical music concert, but love other kinds of music. Present a program consisting of several Classical standards, together with several recent works in an accessible contemporary style. You can bet that the Classical fans will gravitate toward the standard pieces, while the non-Classical fans will have a greater appreciation for the accessible contemporary pieces.

If we really want to increase our audience, we need to rethink our programming. Composers can help by continuing to write accessible pieces (as has been the trend for the last 30 years or so), and presenters can help by doing more to promote contemporary music. I think if we could do that, we'd actually start to see an increase in the size of our audiences.

Just my opinion, of course.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

For most people, listening to classical music is like listening to poetry in another language. They can appreciate the nice sonority the words make, or the rhythm and rhyme, but really have no idea what’s being communicated. Unless someone speaks the language, they’re not likely to have much of a connection. That takes some effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodor
    So i am thinking now why most people - Especially young people of the new generation- think that classical music is "Gay" music, or music to "sleep with" etc and prefer listening to anything else except it. Maybe because they imagine 200 old people sitting in a theatre silently and clapping at the end of each piece instead of fully living the experience as with all other kinds of popular music ( Pop, Rock , Tv music etc ) . Is classical and orchestral music hard to approach for the masses because of the way it is presented ? Everyone loves Fúr Elise for example, but would never go to a concert to hear Beethoven
    It's pointless to try to figure out what makes the "masses" tick. Especially those under a certain age. I imagine if you spent enough money HYPING classical music, if you made it look exciting with flashing lights and half-dressed babes and studly, tatooed conductors, you'd probably attract a good crowd of young people. But who knows?
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    For most people, listening to classical music is like listening to poetry in another language. They can appreciate the nice sonority the words make, or the rhythm and rhyme, but really have no idea what’s being communicated. Unless someone speaks the language, they’re not likely to have much of a connection. That takes some effort.
    I agree.
    Classical and jazz music requires active listening, it requires the listener to meet up with the composer/performer. Most people - especially amongst youngs - are more .. let's call it "comfortable". They mostly enjoy being given things (emotions, states of mind) without having to think or act on their own. Pop music does not require as much of active listening at all - which is were it grew out of; sort of fast food music.

Now, I don't enjoy 'fast food' things (wether in music, food or any other things in life) but that is not to say that "fast food" always have to mean "less better", but usually it does mean "less complex". However in arts, if you like what you do, then do it. Just don't require of someone else that they should like it - for whatever reason.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

If one means by classical music the catchy themes from 19th century masterpieces, then I say people do listen to classical music. Collections have been made of such beautiful themes, popular songs have been written by simply coopting the melodies after copyrights have run out and finally used as background movie music.

Point is this is not what we mean by classical music. The characteristic of classical music that makes it distinct (although Jazz also shares this distinction) is that it requires sitting down and LISTENING. It 'tells a story", not a literal story as in a novel, but an abstract story whose meaning cannot be summarized or represented in words.

Pop music, folk music and most other "accessible" forms are primarily made up of simple, often catchy tunes, simple, often three chord, harmonies and simple poems expressing one of a small collection of very simple emotions. There are masterpieces among these certainly, whether you like the Beatles or Dylan or the Dead, etc. Often the effect is incantatory as we see in the great rock concerts of the past decades.

...But this is a very different matter from sitting down several times to hear a Beethoven string quartet for 30 minutes at a time until it begins to reveal itself...and then to continue to reveal itself over a lifetime of listening.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Edi
    If one means by classical music the catchy themes from 19th century masterpieces, then I say people do listen to classical music.
    You just reminded me of my teenage years, on the beach, late night, camp fire, beer, flirting with the girls, and of course the invaluable guitar. One of the girls asked the rather inexperienced guitar guy to play the Star Wars signature The guy went !!
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

I would like to add that I feel presentation has a lot to do with the acceptance of a genre. Whereas I agree, to a certain degree, about indepth listening and attitudes of the younger generation regarding the classification of composers (being white European etc.), I feel it is far more to do with perception.

We must not foget the impact that Pavarotti had on people accepting opera, the impact Queen had in people accepting Rock/Opera, and the impact Nigel Kennedy had on the youth of England with the acceptance of classical music, his album Seasons being a best seller.

In all the above, the main subjects either crossed a boundary that had never been crossed before: Kennedy with his avante garde clothing, safety pins etc..Pavarotti with his performances with mainstream artistes, and Queen for obvious reasons, or marketted to a younger audience consciously.

Image is possibly the most important underlying factor for young people.
    There will always be a point that the listener will have to refrain or pursue their taste for a genre. Jazz and classical can be too complex for the young listener, and require a full listening experience for the subject matter to be appreciated.

4x4 floor bangers are far easier to digest and therefore more appealing to youngsters.

I think the lack of overall interest in classical music is simply a reflection of the realities of modern society. To enjoy it you must quit moving, sit down and pay attention to it. In an era of iPods and music on the go, this doesn't happen. Ironically, with a medium like film where people do stop and pay attention, they wind up listening to quite a lot of classical music without complaining at all.

I think this is also why surround format music is not taking off big yet. You have to listen to DVD-A or SACD in your home theater, where the surround setup is. You can't do it while you jog or wash dishes.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast