• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Goodbye New York and Hello Boston - Day 17

Share/Bookmark

Goodbye New York and Hello Boston - Day 17

Captains log 4/11/05

Today I was in a New York state of mind. I started the day going to Carnegie Hall and meeting with the booking manager. Carnegie Hall is one of my favorite concert halls and I am looking forward to doing an upcoming sample project there.

I then met with Ravi Dattatreya, president of Jasmine Music which produces Onyx Style Enhancer.We then met at a coffee shop with Stuart Koll Morgan, composer and GPO user.

Then off to a recording session with Andy Brick at Reed Robin's studio near Union Square. Andy was recording woodwinds and brass and also preparing a surprise. After the session we went to Wendy Carlos' apartment and visited for a few hours. It was so good to see Wendy again. What a brilliant mind who understands music and technology (did you know Wendy helped program some of the GPO update?) Wendy is about the release a new album of her film scores which sounds fascinating.

Then it was off to Penn Station to catch a train to Boston (wonder who won the Yankees/Red Sox season opener?) I am writing this post on the express train to Boston. Nice comfortable train ride after a hectic day.
    The clattering rhythm of the train tracks has a somnabulistic efect.
    Very (yawn) slleeppyyyy...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Gary

Re: Goodbye New York and Hello Boston - Day 17

Enjoy the train ride - have a safe journey home.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

somnabulistic,,, that's a new one for me...

Hi Gary!

"Captain's Log" I like it!

Thanks for the update, Captain! I look forward to the "surprise" . . . I still don't know how you can go on so busy . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Why didn't you say you were close by Gary? I am only about 2 hours away fron NYC.
    Chris

Thumbs up Re: Goodbye New York and Hello Boston - Day 17

There are layers of brilliance and elegance in Wendy Carlos' work - both the technical and the creative side of things. It's wonderful that some of the GPO updates came from her, but not a huge surprise - as Personal Orchestra has its own aspects of brilliance and elegance as well! Glad you're on your way back from a long journey out - with a surpise in tow, to boot. Cool...
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Carnegie Hall is one of my favorite concert halls and I am looking forward to doing an upcoming sample project there.
    Did you grab an IR while you were there?

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Captain! Thar be whales near Boston! Just a shot straight across from Beeffalo and I have to woik!
    Did ya bring your mobile sample recorder for the tack noise? If you listen even closer you'll hear another strange voice type sound coming from the engine. "I think I can I think I can I know I can I know I can that's not my can that's not my can ...
    Have a nice ride and visit in Bostonia.
    Styxx

Now you are in my part of the world. If I had time I’d try to come down to meet you. I hope you can grab some impulses of Symphony Hall.

After reading your post I just put on Switched on Bach (I have a couple other Wendy Carlos CDs, but not at work). Electronically produced music has certainly come a long way. With all the slick, realist sound samples the original Moog stuff has a kind of, well Baroque, feel to it.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    I started the day going to Carnegie Hall
    So how *do* you get to Carnegie Hall?

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Go Back to forum