• Register
  • Help

Topic: Looped solo woodwinds?

Share/Bookmark

Looped solo woodwinds?

Hey folks, I've searched and searched since I know this topic has probably already been brought up, but I can't find the info I need specifically, so I thought I'd just ask.

I'm looking for some good solo woodwinds that have looped sustains. I've got VSL Opus 1, but there's no looped woodwinds, and I'd like 'em. (Yeah, I know Opus 2 has the loops, but I've already got the Solo Strings and it just seems like an awful lot of money to spend on lots of samples I've already got, plus lite versions of the winds.) I've checked out the Dan Dean, but can't find out if they have loops. The Westgate advertises that they don't have loops, so I figure they're out. So, what would you recommend?

Also, I'd appreciate opinions on ethnic winds, preferably that also contain looped sustains.

FWIW, I use Giga 2.5 and Halion3.

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise!

Re: Looped solo woodwinds?

I recommend not using loops for any solo winds. It really adds to the realism. If you must, X Samples has solo winds and brass which are looped. They are recorded nicely - minus a few pitch issues which are easy to correct. The programming is decent, but nowhere near as extensive as the newer libraries. I often use them as a 3rd or 4th player in a section. They also have some nice FX that are difficult to find elsewhere. Neither Westgate nor Dan Dean are looped, but notes are held for so long it isn't an issue. IMO these 2 libraries play more expressively. If memory is an issue, Dan Dean has "light" patches which require less resources. Westgate's samples are mono so they are all "light".

Re: Looped solo woodwinds?

Quote Originally Posted by dvincent
    I recommend not using loops for any solo winds. It really adds to the realism. If you must, X Samples has solo winds and brass which are looped. They are recorded nicely - minus a few pitch issues which are easy to correct. The programming is decent, but nowhere near as extensive as the newer libraries. I often use them as a 3rd or 4th player in a section. They also have some nice FX that are difficult to find elsewhere. Neither Westgate nor Dan Dean are looped, but notes are held for so long it isn't an issue. IMO these 2 libraries play more expressively. If memory is an issue, Dan Dean has "light" patches which require less resources. Westgate's samples are mono so they are all "light".
    What he said!

Looped samples really aren't that great from what I've herd. Especailly once you take vibrato instruments into consideration. After a while you'll start to hear a pattern in vibrato that just keeps going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going.........
    It can get annoying.

My $.02

-Chris

Go Back to forum