• Register
  • Help

Topic: SX/GS panning issues

Share/Bookmark

SX/GS panning issues

I work via template with a few hundred midi tracks loaded each time I sit down. I use 2 GS3 machines and some local vsts on the DAW. Each time I turn on the machines, load everything up fresh and get SX3 running, I have the same problem.

GS has not remembered any of the instrument pan settings which I set from SX. If I switch to a GS monitor and examine the settings, they appear correct, corresponding visually to the pan settings in SX. But if I hit Play, despite the fact that it looks okay, those settings haven't registered and they seem all set to =off= position. The local VSTs retain their proper placements, only the remote GS machines lose their pan positions, despite showing that they are still set the way they were when I saved before shutting the systems down.

The only way I get everything working is to put my left hand on the arrow keys on the keyboard, and my right on the mouse, and then 1 by 1, cycle down across every midi track, while the mouse hovers over the "Pan" setting on the tracks, clicking as I pass over the tracks (which sets the value to what it should be).

So basically I've got this little excercise where I click my mouse and keyboard well over 200 times each before I can start working. There must be a better way. Time to get clicking...

Re: SX/GS panning issues

I get this too. Its really odd.

I think it works if you set automation panning.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGraybill
    I work via template with a few hundred midi tracks loaded each time I sit down. I use 2 GS3 machines and some local vsts on the DAW. Each time I turn on the machines, load everything up fresh and get SX3 running, I have the same problem.

GS has not remembered any of the instrument pan settings which I set from SX. If I switch to a GS monitor and examine the settings, they appear correct, corresponding visually to the pan settings in SX. But if I hit Play, despite the fact that it looks okay, those settings haven't registered and they seem all set to =off= position. The local VSTs retain their proper placements, only the remote GS machines lose their pan positions, despite showing that they are still set the way they were when I saved before shutting the systems down.

The only way I get everything working is to put my left hand on the arrow keys on the keyboard, and my right on the mouse, and then 1 by 1, cycle down across every midi track, while the mouse hovers over the "Pan" setting on the tracks, clicking as I pass over the tracks (which sets the value to what it should be).

So basically I've got this little excercise where I click my mouse and keyboard well over 200 times each before I can start working. There must be a better way. Time to get clicking...
    If you're using GS3, why are you working this way?

Have you considered doing the panning in GS3 using GigaPulse? This would eliminate these issues.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

There's a better way. In your template make the first bar or so exclusive to MIDI CC#10 (pan) and manually input the correct value from the key editor, for each channel. This will of course make your pan setting fixed to that value so if you want to change pan during the sequence you'd have to go back to the first bar and make the appropriate change. You can also do this for volume, if you're having trouble with GS3 not recognizing the CC#7 data either. It's definitely a Steinberg problem.

Thanks for the tips - I'd considered setting midi pan positions, and that's what I'll go ahead and do now, just something I kept putting off since it would take an hour or so to do, and it only really takes a couple of minutes to scroll through all the tracks and reset everything. I'm lazy, its tru. At the end of the day, setting midi pan positions is still a band-aid for the problem, not a permanent solution.

I'm not sure I follow the GigaPulse panning suggestion. (I'm still learning the GP technology, and the manual was a bit thin in that area to be sure.) Thanks for the additional PM, Peter - I'll check out your suggestions!

Go Back to forum