• Register
  • Help

Topic: First Full Day at Berklee College of Music - Day 18

Share/Bookmark

First Full Day at Berklee College of Music - Day 18

Captain's Log - April 12th, Day 18 of the journey

Stephen Croes met me at the train station last night and gave me a quick tour of Berklee College of Music. Stephen is the Dean of Music Technology and also works on the music for the Star Trek series. Berklee is an incredible and thriving institution. It's a music technology enthusiast's dream. If I was studying music, this would be my first choice without doubt.

We met in the morning at Starbucks and then met some faculty at Berklee. I met Prof. Greg Fritze, Chair of the Composition Department, Prof. Matthew Nicholl, Chair of the Contemporary Writing & Production Department, and other faculty. We had lunch with Rich Mendelson and Kurt Beiderwolf, Chair of the Music Synthesis Depatment. By happenstance I ran into Jim Copper, Director of Marketing for MOTU, on the street en route to the restaurant. A few days ago I talked with Jim at the MOTU party at Frankfurt. Small world. And I saw Kyle in the hallway at Berklee, one of our first GPO users and a student at Berklee.

After lunch I gave a talk to the Advanced Music Synthesis class. This class is taught by Michael Brigida one of the Kurzweil pioneers.I talked about the history and future of sampling, sound design, and what's involved in developing sample libraries.

Later I gave a talk to the Advanced MIDI Systems class taught by Michael Bierylo. The topics of discussion were orchestral emulation, maximizing expression, sequencing techniques and going from MIDI-mockup to real orchestra.

The students at both classes were knowledgeable about sampling, on the ball and inquisitive. Those students are in a great place.

Later it was dinner atop the Prudential Tower while watching the snow fall. This is mid April?

Looking forward to tomorrow. More soon...

Gary Garritan

Re: First Full Day at Berklee College of Music - Day 18

Always warms my heart when I hear stuff about Boston, and as an alum of Berklee, nice to hear some of those names. Greg Fritze was one my professors when I attended, and not only is he a fantastic composer, but a really, really nice guy too.

Would have been awesome to have had GPO when I attended; I imagine several of my film scoring projects would have benefited greatly. Most of the orchestral mockups came off Korg Trinitys when I was there.

Ah memories...

Thanks for the update! I don't know how you remember all those names . . . Perhaps after I get out of college, get a job, make some money, I'll head on over to Berklee
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Smile Re: First Full Day at Berklee College of Music - Day 18

Gary, it is a pleasure to read that you and your products are involved with Berklee. I'm a 1982 graduate from Berklee College of Music (Bachelor of Music in Film Composition). I hold fond memories of that time in my life in Boston, and I'm proud of my time and education at Berklee. It is so interesting to see just how much the music industry has changed since then!! There was no digital anything; there was no midi. Now?? The present?? Everything is done via computer. . . including writing for and recording (sequencing) an orchestra! Technology is just soooooo cool!

Best wishes to you as your relationship with Berklee and other music colleges/institutions deepens. Through your products and your own experience with the music industry, you have much to share!!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

< Berklee '89 (paper,pencil, and analog synths, oh, and the NEW DX7's!)

About the best years of my life....

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Thumbs up Re: First Full Day at Berklee College of Music - Day 18

Captain! We haven't much time, Captain!
    Spock, what do you make of this?
    It's snow Captain.
    Blast your confounded observations Spock! The Captains stuck on top of the Prudential Building and the transporter is down!
    Doctor, I see no reason to get all excited.
    Oh you don't do you? Well what does that calm Vulcan disposition of you say to this!
    Nice, very nice Doctor what is it?
    A Morphed Solo Stradivarius Violin.

OK, enough of this ... Gary, nice to see you are having a wonderfully technically filled (educational too!) time in Boston. By the way, did you get the chance to meet Professor Marty Mullenhiemer, Chair of the Table?
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Babcock
    Always warms my heart when I hear stuff about Boston, and as an alum of Berklee, nice to hear some of those names. Greg Fritze was one my professors when I attended, and not only is he a fantastic composer, but a really, really nice guy too.
    Hey Aaron, I studied with Greg also. He was my first ear training professor ar Berklee, and I took counterpoint with him as well. He's the one that sent me to Hugo Norden for private study, for which I will always be indebted. He's a great teacher and composer, and probably *the* nicest guy in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Later it was dinner atop the Prudential Tower while watching the snow fall.
    The top of the Prudential is also a good place to loose your lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    < Berklee '89 (paper,pencil, and analog synths, oh, and the NEW DX7's!)

The DX7 was used in the SF production of Phantom of the Opera, not the ALW version. That, and a small grand piano was the entire orchestra. I did not like the piano, and could not get anything decent out of the DX7, but Barry sure did.

Richard

Go Back to forum