• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Notion....or NOT?

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs down Notion....or NOT?

I've just listened to the demos of the Notion composing program and I have to say that while it makes score 'proofing' truly automatic, the sounds themselves are mostly dissapointing and the playback was quite stilted sounding. GPO doesn't have anything to worry about. I expected more from the LSO samples. The brass are weak and don't work in ensemble and the strings are okay but the only exciting part was the percussion. The built-in reverb was too dry as well but that could most likely be adjusted. The woods sounded like some of the Sampletank stuff.

I understand that this is a specialized program for score writers but the realism is also being touted and...it ain't. Sorry.

This is just my intial reaction to the demos after listening several times. If there is more that can be done then it might improve.

I'll stick with midi editing in SONAR and my QLSO and GPO, thankyou!

Re: Notion....or NOT?

I don't know if would interest you but we had a knock down drag out brawl over notion about a month or two ago. The VP of the company was also in on it. Check it out.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ghlight=Notion
    And the fireworks start here!

Jose

Cool thread , i needed a change of signature
    The Demo wasn't that bad , had some bugs ( Violins at start panning from Stereo to mono ) . I could live with it if i hadn't tasted the power of bigger libraries. I like the idea of not interfering at all at sample level and getting a semi-good decent sound sometimes
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Quote Originally Posted by josejherring
    I don't know if would interest you but we had a knock down drag out brawl over notion about a month or two ago. The VP of the company was also in on it. Check it out.

And the fireworks start here!

Jose
    Thanks. I'm reading through the thread right now (missed this one!).

I think some aspects of the program could be brilliant, just the playback dosen't sound any better than your average sub-par GPO newbie playing a midi file.

I have a demo SONAR file of the Strauss demo that came with my old Edirol HQO that blows this one away completely.

I guess the giveaway is the sparse system requirements listed. 512 meg? The samples sound like maybe this set was designed to run on mostly laptops. Too bad. I would like to have seen a version with larger beefier samples.

I just have to wonder at how the developer switched his tack a few times from "this is like VSL" to "hey, its really a sketchpad, is all"???

Too bad the LSO was hoodwinked into this. I think Notion might be a bit of a sham. Then there is the possibility that the LSO people want it to sound like a GM box because then nobody will use their 'sound' in a finished product? Time will tell, but I think they're kidding themselves with this product, splashy ads in KEYBOARD notwithstanding.

Again, GPO and QLSO haven't a thing to worry about!

Maybe it will get better but my experience says that if it sounds this bad before it's released, it's probably going to stay that way. I remember what happened with EMU and the "Virtuoso 2000". The hype was incredible and the first demos were shockingly bad. I pre-ordered and waited for 5 months. Then I heard the demo while my unit was enroute to me. I should have refused the package but I thought it might have lots of potential. I was DEAD wrong....!

Notion may get it on with this but I won't hold my breath But..who knows what can be done with the sound engine and samples?

A work in progress?

I would also like to point out that Hans Zimmer is apparently making his personal library available to Wizoo with a special playback engine. It's my understanding from an old KEYBOARD article by Jeff Rona that members of the LSO played and it was recorded at Abbey Road.

So we may yet be able to enjoy the LSO as a superb sample set.

I didn't mean to re-open this topic, I just wanted to add some things of my own as I missed out back in Feb.

Thanks.

Talking Re: Notion....or NOT?

Personally, I'm excited about the paradigm Notion is exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nexus
    Thanks. I'm reading through the thread right now (missed this one!).

I think some aspects of the program could be brilliant, just the playback dosen't sound any better than your average sub-par GPO newbie playing a midi file.

I have a demo SONAR file of the Strauss demo that came with my old Edirol HQO that blows this one away completely.

I guess the giveaway is the sparse system requirements listed. 512 meg? The samples sound like maybe this set was designed to run on mostly laptops. Too bad. I would like to have seen a version with larger beefier samples.

I just have to wonder at how the developer switched his tack a few times from "this is like VSL" to "hey, its really a sketchpad, is all"???

Too bad the LSO was hoodwinked into this. I think Notion might be a bit of a sham. Then there is the possibility that the LSO people want it to sound like a GM box because then nobody will use their 'sound' in a finished product? Time will tell, but I think they're kidding themselves with this product, splashy ads in KEYBOARD notwithstanding.

Again, GPO and QLSO haven't a thing to worry about!

Maybe it will get better but my experience says that if it sounds this bad before it's released, it's probably going to stay that way. I remember what happened with EMU and the "Virtuoso 2000". The hype was incredible and the first demos were shockingly bad. I pre-ordered and waited for 5 months. Then I heard the demo while my unit was enroute to me. I should have refused the package but I thought it might have lots of potential. I was DEAD wrong....!

Notion may get it on with this but I won't hold my breath But..who knows what can be done with the sound engine and samples?

A work in progress?

I would also like to point out that Hans Zimmer is apparently making his personal library available to Wizoo with a special playback engine. It's my understanding from an old KEYBOARD article by Jeff Rona that members of the LSO played and it was recorded at Abbey Road.

So we may yet be able to enjoy the LSO as a superb sample set.

I didn't mean to re-open this topic, I just wanted to add some things of my own as I missed out back in Feb.

Thanks.

Question Re: Notion....or NOT?

Duh! What's the point of QUOTING the entire text of the message that's right above yours, Jimi?

A waste of forum space, imho!

KevinKauai [curmudgeon for the day]

Bah, it quotes it by itself unless I manually delete the quoted text! But if you really feel that it's a threat to the future of civilization, I'll try to remember to highlight and delete the quote text.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinKauai
    Duh! What's the point of QUOTING the entire text of the message that's right above yours, Jimi?

A waste of forum space, imho!

KevinKauai [curmudgeon for the day]

I am just dissapointed in the way the great LSO has been used to foster what sounds like GM cheese. I wouldn't trust these guys with my hard earned dollars.

They are trying to hook people into a clever concept that cannot deliver the goods so they are trying to bait people with the superb sound quality implied by the LSO and Abbey Road so you won't notice that it's just a mediocre scoring program hitched to a cheesy little sample set. I regret that the LSO will most likely never consider doing sampling sessions again after this product slips beneath the waves (Jack Jarrett's good name, notwithstanding).

Well as of this day, I am deciding NOT to engage this forum in any way that might become inflammatory or start any unpleasantness. Sadly The Goodship NS has set sail for Candyland.....

..and I have scribbled all over my boarding pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi
    Bah, it quotes it by itself unless I manually delete the quoted text! But if you really feel that it's a threat to the future of civilization, I'll try to remember to highlight and delete the quote text.
    The other way is if you look near the bottom of the page, after the last post, to the left is a "Post Reply" button. Hit that and it doesn't quote, so you don't have to delete anything. For the sake of the future of civilization, use it!!!

- Mike Greene

Quote Originally Posted by nexus
    I regret that the LSO will most likely never consider doing sampling sessions again after this product slips beneath the waves (Jack Jarret's good name, notwithstanding).
    I'm sure that the LSO are quite happy being paid however bad the program. In fact they probably prefer it this way as it poses not threat to them!

Daryl

Go Back to forum