• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Mac OS X Core Audio implications

Share/Bookmark

New Mac OS X Core Audio implications

I was reading the overview of the new Mac OS X Core Audio implementation, and it looks very interesting. I'm wondering what it will mean for running things such as Kontakt, DigitalPerformer, Logic, and other DAWs, and other soft synths/samplers.

Here's the link:
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/coreaudio/

Re: New Mac OS X Core Audio implications

I have just switched over to Osx and use Logic with the Core Audio, and I must say that it is good.

However, I have noticed something that did not exist before on Os 9.2, and that it is a touch strange, and maybe more to do with my config than the actual Core Audio itself.

If I open Logic while my soundcard is off, it will not let me see any of my vstis or audio channels, or even audio data when loaded.

Os 9.2 never did this. It gave me a warning about 'audio device disabled etc' but allowed me to view data etc..

I too would be interested in the experiences of others here.

Samplecraze,

Have you read about Core Audio in the upcoming release of Tiger? What do you think?

Certainly looks interesting.

Nonnative file format support is welcomed, and API format conversions are also long overdure.

However, I am wondering how well all this will integrate with cascading systems. I am aware that their aggregate device support is one feature, but it will need to be environment tested.

For developers, this is all good news. For the single home consumer, I am sure the features of Core Audio are more than ample, but for semi to pro studios, running multiple devices, I am not sure if all their needs have been addressed yet.

Time will tell.

What are your views?

I am still new to Osx and Core Audio, so any input would be of great help to me.

Go Back to forum