• Register
  • Help

Topic: am I gettin' lazy?

Share/Bookmark

Question am I gettin' lazy?

So I landed another film gig and somewhat of a dance music gig. Not big paying stuff but it'll give me a chance to do some music that I haven't really done yet.

I'm pulling out my Reason program and I went to the store today to buy the latest hippest Rex2 files. I pop it out of the bag. For $40 bucks I wasn't expecting much from my pro-sessions loop CD.

I put in the first loop. Bad loop point I get clicking. I put it away. Couple hours later I pull it out again. I find some decent loops. I pull them up into my Dr. Rex loop player. Route it through the adavanced reverb in Reason. Dial up a big boomy(that one's for you Bruce R.) reverb press the gate button. Full around with the aux return on my virtual mixer and after a few minutes it actually starts to sound like I know what I'm doing. A few minutes later and I'm rocking the house down--Raisin' the roof--Gettin' down with my bad a s s self. Yeah baby!!!

After years of thinking that loops weren't for me and after the hellish job I just finished in which I had to write Wagnarian type orchestrations, I'm starting to think, "maybe, maybe I could start to like working with loops." It's not so bad sitting back and relaxing while pushing a button or two.

Is that too lazy?

Cheers,

Jose

Re: am I gettin' lazy?

If the easy alternative fits the context then why should you sweat more than is necessary? I would use the spare time to scratch my dogs or my girfriend, there's never enough time for that. You most propably know your ways with the wagnerian style and expanding your palette is never a bad idea. The next gig might be one of those where you have to work your tush off so take a deep breath and let Reason show them what it was made for.

But isn't the the point of loops?

I like using loops, but I can never seem to find a loop that's exactly what I'm looking for.
    Tim

Hey Jose, didn't your friend John Debney suggest you work with loops?

Careful, you might be driving a Ferrari soon just like him.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Jose,

Pardon my direct talk, but you are na´ve if you think that you can get by with just a few button pushes for real gigs. Using loops is no different than writing virtual orchestral music: You have to work hard to stand out. Like a good dj, you have to filter all the so-so loops, modify them to make them special, add/play the right bass lines, synth/guitar lines, etc. Otherwise, you'll be just another generic musician. Just like Mozart played by band-in-a-box.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bouhalassa
    Jose,

..... Like a good dj, you have to filter all the so-so loops, modify them to make them special, add/play the right bass lines, synth/guitar lines, etc. Otherwise, you'll be just another generic musician. Just like Mozart played by band-in-a-box.
    Ned I was just foolin' a little. That's what I meant by pushing a few buttons. I was just trying to get the hang of it.

So far I've put the loops through gated reverb. Automated the filters so that it will pop out on the snare and be a little more muffled during the kick. Started to full around with cutting saw waves and massive reverb.

Later what I'll probably do is print the loop as a midi track. Edit out all the different hits so that the kick, snare and cymbols are on separte tracks. Then I'll edit those or replace them with other sounds.

Then I'll do some additional bass lines and add full orchestra from my gold set on top of the rhythm tracks as needed dramatically and also as the songs I'm doing need string arrangements.

I'm not that green.

Jose

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cairns
    Hey Jose, didn't your friend John Debney suggest you work with loops?

Careful, you might be driving a Ferrari soon just like him.
    God I hope I have a career as successful as his. Gee wiz man. I'm not into the whole Ferrari thing but I sure could use the cash.

Anyway, I was warned by somebody not to mention my high profile friends. As this is a public forum and he's somewhat of a celebrity in these circles.

I hope that you and others will just forget that I mentioned him in the future.

But I will say this. Nobody deserves our respect more than JD. He's a totally class act and a fantastic composer to boot. Proves that you don't have to have a big ego to make it big and that you can be ethical and have high moral standards and still make it in this world.

Cheers,

Jose

Quote Originally Posted by josejherring
    So far I've put the loops through gated reverb. Automated the filters so that it will pop out on the snare and be a little more muffled during the kick. Started to full around with cutting saw waves and massive reverb.

Later what I'll probably do is print the loop as a midi track. Edit out all the different hits so that the kick, snare and cymbols are on separte tracks. Then I'll edit those or replace them with other sounds.
    Sounds like a whole lotta work to me! Don't let peers make you feel bad about using loops as is.

Congrats on the gig!

- Mike Greene

Go Back to forum